OH has found free Old Maps app for iPhone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OH has found free Old Maps app for iPhone

My OH is a mapaholic, so I'm never surprised when he turns up with another map. He'll choose a map as a holiday souvenir (quite a nifty idea, if you think about it!).

He recently got an iPhone, and has been acquiring new apps from time to time. The recently-found one is free, apparently. You use a modern map to locate an area, and then a slide-bar allows you to fade between the current map and a historical version. It's fascinating!

I think he said it was called Old Maps. If anyone is interested but can't locate it, let me know, and I'll ask him for more specific info.

I wouldn't have mentioned it , normally, but it does seem to be free, and could be really helpful for getting an impression of where your ancestors lived.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Does the iPhone come free as well?????
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
      Does the iPhone come free as well?????
      Sadly No!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for the tip, I've found it but it seems to have some very mixed reviews. I'm going to download it and see how it goes

Comment

Try this,

Comment

I've been buying A-Z's when I go researching and if I can't find the streets I want - then buying Alan Godfrey maps.

I've only got a basic payg phone which is about all I can manage lol

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by JIMM View Post
              I haven't looked in detail, but that certainly looks like something I shall want to make sure is in my Bookmarks. I've found the Old-Maps site, and that London one (http://www.motco.com/map/) - and the Alan Godfrey site, too.

I wasn't suggesting that anyone should be buying an iPhone to get the app - only that if they already have an iPhone, the app is likely to be a handy extra - especially for someone actually at a relevant place, where carting around a computer is just not an option.

Christine

Comment

Working...
              X