Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charles William Davis, Mariner. Any info' please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charles William Davis, Mariner. Any info' please.

Hi, I am looking on for any information on Charles William Davis (my g grandfather) born 1832 Camberwell, died sometime in the 1890's. He married Rosina Cole in 1864 in Bristol, On The marriage Certificate it states he was a mariner. Is there anyway I could find out what ship/s he worked on? The next Census in 1871 states he was working as a clerk in Rosina's families Pottery in Bristol. I can't find him in the 1851 or 1861 Census at all. His father John (wine merchant) died in 1842., and I have not been able to trace the other members of the family since the 1841 Census when they were living in Newington, Surrey. What age would a lad be able to go to sea in those days? Thanks everyone, Sara.

Hi Sara. "Mariner" could mean almost anything, especially in Bristol, which was a major international seaport. He could have been in the coasting trade or sailing around the world. Steamships were becoming more common for short-haul runs, though sail still ruled the seas for long distances.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
      Hi Sara. "Mariner" could mean almost anything, especially in Bristol, which was a major international seaport. He could have been in the coasting trade or sailing around the world. Steamships were becoming more common for short-haul runs, though sail still ruled the seas for long distances.
      Hi Uncle John, I think he still lived in London, as I have a clipping from a Bristol newspaper which states that Mr Charles William Davis of London, Married Rosina Cole. Thank you, Sara.

Comment

Some info has already been posted on another board but does not address the mariner side of this request

Comment

Working...
        X