Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edmund Cox c1813 Wiltshire

Hi Everyone

I have an Edmund Cox c1813 who states on one census he was born in Semington, Wilts.
    I have found an Edmund Cox christened 14 JUN 1812 Steeple Ashton, Wiltshire, which is about 3 miles from Semington. [IGI]
    He married Jane Green in Apr 1837. Typical!!

His parents are given as John Cox & Mary Wayland c 1776-1809.There is also a brother Thomas chr 1810, the rest of the children are christened before her death.

Asuming this is my Edmund, is there anyway of discovering if she was their mother and they were christened much later or could John have remarried another Mary

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Thank you
    Nona
    ;D NONA
    VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR Som/Glos COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, BROWN Ledbury, Bromyard, Herefordshire, Worcs, NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent, CROWE, REYNOLDS Suffolk, CARLSON/CHARLSON Sweden/E Ldn, COX Wilts 'Trego STILES', DORTON Middx, Surrey
    PROBABLE IMPOSSIBILITIES ARE TO BE PREFERRED TO IMPROBABLE POSSIBILITIES - ARISTOTLE

Hi Nona

The name Cox in Wiltshire is well used, the records you found were not from the actual church, they are submitted by other people, so they could be wrong, unless you know the person who submitted these records(maybe from your family)

If somebody was born in Semington, surely they would be baptised in the local church. The workers in 1841 worked from dawn till dusk, they had Sundays off, then they did their church bits. I cant imagine anybody walking 5 miles to go to a different church, when there is a church in the same village (Semington St Georges).

The parish records for Birth Death and Marriage are held at the Wiltshire and Swindon History Center, maybe there is a way to search them and find maybe another Edmund,

http://www.wshc.eu/about-wshc/archiv...html#Parishes: S

hope this idea helps

mm

Comment

Alternatively, you could order the film of Semington Parish Registers from your nearest Family History Centre (LDS Church).

The details for ordering are:
      Title Parish registers, 1586-1973 Authors Church of England. Parish Church of Semington (Wiltshire). (Main Author)
      Note Location
      Film Parish registers FHL BRITISH Film
      1279372 Items 3-13

I see that you are in Norfolk and these are the FHCs in that area:
      Family History Centers in Norfolk, England [refine search]

Dereham England
      Yaxham Road
      East Dereham, Norfolk, England
      Phone: 44 (0) 136-285 1500
      Hours: T-Th 6pm-9pm
      Kings Lynn England
      Reffley Lane
      Kings Lynn, Norfolk, England
      Phone: 44 (0) 155-367 0000
      Hours: M 9.30am-12.00, 12.30pm-3pm; W, Th 7pm-9pm; Sat 9am-12pm
      Norwich England
      19 Greenways
      Eaton
      Norwich, Norfolk, England
      Phone: 44 (0) 160-345 2440
      Hours: Tues 9:30am-1pm; Wed 9:30am-4.30pm; Thurs 9:30am-1pm,(7pm-9pm LDS members only); Sat 10:00am - 1:00pm
      Closed: 18 December 2009 - 4 January 2010
      Thetford England
      Station Road
      Thetford, Norfolk, England
      Phone: 44 (0) 184-275 5472
      Hours: By appointment only Note: These are not mailing addresses. Due to limited staff, Family History Centers are unable to respond to mail inquiries.

Hope this helps you.
      Last edited by Elderflower; 22-04-10, 13:09. Reason: Added extra info

Comment

Hi mm & Pat

Thank you for replying to my query and I will certainly follow up on your ideas

Regards
        Nona
        ;D NONA
        VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR Som/Glos COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, BROWN Ledbury, Bromyard, Herefordshire, Worcs, NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent, CROWE, REYNOLDS Suffolk, CARLSON/CHARLSON Sweden/E Ldn, COX Wilts 'Trego STILES', DORTON Middx, Surrey
        PROBABLE IMPOSSIBILITIES ARE TO BE PREFERRED TO IMPROBABLE POSSIBILITIES - ARISTOTLE

Comment

Working...
        X