Royal Flying Corps/RAF ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Royal Flying Corps/RAF ?

A friend has asked if I can help find his father's WW1 record. Is there a good site for finding such records?

Born in 1900 he apparently joined up by adding a couple of years to his age and I've noted that the RFC became the RAF in April 1918..... it's thought he joined the RFC but was then demobbed from the RAF.

Someone has said many of the records have been destroyed - does anyone know if that's true?
    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Certainly a lot of WW1 service records were destroyed (or badly damaged) by a WW2 bomb, but it's always worth trying!

The National Archives have excellent Guides on different topics, such as this. Have a look here: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...e/airforce.asp

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

My Uncle was in the RFC and managed to get a report of his death in 1917 - would imagine that any records would be in the National Archives under the RAF. However many records have been lost so it may be a bit hit and miss whether they still exist.

Just a note though there were 3 sections of the RFC - the Military, the Naval (and another civilian section I think) The Military wing continued as RFC but in 1914 the Naval wing became the Royal Naval Air Service. In 1918 the Royal Flying Corps became the RAF.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks Christine and Bee - he was definitely in the RAF, my friend born in 1929 spoke to him about it as a child.

Thanks for link and the confirmation about the loss/damage to records....... I'll have a look. Haven't had much success so far. :(

PS: Have just realised what you mean Bee - he could have been Army/Navy/Flying in the RFC - almost certaing I gather it would have been flying.
        Last edited by Dubonnet lady; 21-04-10, 16:58.
        Dorothy G

Comment

PS: Have just realised what you mean Bee - he could have been Army/Navy/Flying in the RFC - almost certaing I gather it would have been flying.
          I think it was all Flying - just that two of the three sections had affiliations to the other services.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

This research guide may be helpful

Jackie

Comment

Sorry for not getting back sooner.

Thanks Jackie - I'll look through those
              Dorothy G

Comment

I'm fairly certain that, originally, The Royal Flying Corps was part of the Army and Records are probably kept at Army Personnel Records in Glasgow.......PHONE 0141 224 8034

Comment

Hi,

I requested my hubby's grandfathers RFC service record from the national archives.

If you click on the following link, and enter AIR 79 in the "department or series code box", and enter the name of the person you are searching for in the "word or phase box", you may find the record you are looking for.

Good luck with your search.

Kind regards

Kelly.

Comment

Thank you AlanC and Kelly - I think I've already done a fair bit on National Archives, but I'll check again. Thanks Alan for that info.
                    Dorothy G

Comment

Working...
                    X