WW1 service and pension records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW1 service and pension records

Could someone please let me know whether an Alexander John Cumming shows up as being in the Seaforth 5th Highlanders in WW1? I've just had a letter from his daughter saying that he fought with them - I want to know if it's worthwhile paying for a months sub to Ancestry!

Five of his brothers also fought (and all 6 survived!) - and Alexander's daughter believes that James, Colin & Charles Cumming were all in an artillery regiment. I wonder whether any likely candidates turn up in a search?

I know that only about 1/3 of records survive - and so hopefully one or two of these do.

Thanks for reading!
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Hi,
    There are a few Alexander Cummings - do you have a DOB or address to narrow itr down a bit?

Edit - also plenty of James and some Charles - no Colin so far. Where abouts did they come from etc? - happy to have a look.
    Last edited by herky; 21-04-10, 16:50.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks Herky,

He was born c1883 to parents John Cumming & Margaret More [Moir]. He was from the Nairn, Croy, Elgin, Ardersier, Inverness area. He had married Margresh Ann Grieve in 1910, at which time he was a golf course groundsman.
      Last edited by wulliam; 21-04-10, 16:53.
      Kind regards,
      William

Comment

Thanks - off to have a wee look.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Not a lot of luck so far.
          There is an Alexander J Cumming on the medal roles - Seaforth Highlanders, laobour Corps.
          There is a medal role for a Colin Cumming in the Royal horse Artillery and another in the Royal field artillery.
          I will mail you - sorry this is rushed, I have to go out now but will have another look tonight.
          herky

Comment

Thanks very much for the pm...looks very promising!
            I think I'll take a sub to look for myself - it looks very good.

If you want to investigate further then that's grand - but don't worry about it!
            Kind regards,
            William

Comment

Working...
            X