Can anybody find this family 1881?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anybody find this family 1881?

Cannot find this family anywhere on the 1881 Census. Possibly living in Spitalfields or Bethnal Green.

Thomas Hartshorne b.1824 Spitalfields
    Susanna Jane Hartshorne b.1827 St Pancras

Thomas Hartshorne b.1854
    Susan Jane Hartshorne b.1856
    John Hartshorne b.1858
    Mary Ann Hartshorne b.1860
    Isabella Annette Hartshorne b.1862
    George Eddy Hartshorne b.1864
    Richard Sumley Hartshorne b.1867

All children born Spitalfields.

Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

It looks as though Susanna died and Thomas remarried on 7th Sept 1873 (widower, full age, father Anthony Hartshorne gentleman) to Sophia Luker Jacobs (spinster, full age, father John Jacobs, cooper).

He is shown as a widower on 1871
    Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

and there is a possible death for Susannah Jane Hartshorn (without the 'e') in 1870

Thomas may then have died in 1874 (again spelt without the 'e') because there is another marriage in 1877 in West Ham by Sophia Lucas Hartshorn. The image for that one isn't on Ancestry and I haven't been able to work out who she married.

If this is all the right family, I haven't found them yet on 1881
    Jackie

Comment

the three grooms on the Dec 1877 west ham marriage are

Henry Sansom
      Henry Baines &
      Thomas Jenkins
      Jess

Comment

John marries on 27 Feb 1881 to Eliza Delieu

and I think this is them in 1881 (transcribed as Hartsmore) at 62 Cheshire St, Bethnal Green. He's a dock labourer
        Jackie

Comment

Did you have the 1854 marriage for Thomas and Susanna Jane EDDY? - Thomas's father is Anthonay - so it does match.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hello yes, that is him, son of Anthony, hadn't realised he had been widowed and remarried by 1871. It is really the daughter Isabella Annette Hartshorne b.1862, who is of the real interest to me and I'd like to find in 1881 as she married into my family, well she didn't actually marry....a certificate today has thrown her into the works, so trying to figure out who she is and what her background was! Thanks for the help so far everyone

Comment

Isabella was baptised in Nov 1864, when she was 2, in a family batch! The family was living at 16 Queen St at the time.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

well she didn't actually marry
                Is she likely to be using a "married" name in 1881? If so, what would it be?

Christine

Comment

She had two children with my great uncle, but not until 1894 and 1896, so not likely in his name if she is under another name that early.. She died not long after, in 1897, and that was registered in her maiden name.

Comment

Foiled! :(

So she could be almost any of the London-ish Isabellas - assuming she didn't get missed.

Christine

Comment

I can't find any Isabella's born 1862 +/-2 Spitalfields anywhere! So I assume her place of birth is mistranscribed, or perhaps given as just 'London' if she is outside county. I can't find her in 1891 so perhaps she was married (My g-uncle certainly was..this is the second woman I've found him having children with.)

Comment

I tried putting her in as just "Isabel*" to try to catch variations, but it didn't get me anywhere.

She may just have put London or Middlesex - or Stepney?

Christine

Comment

Hi

Is this her?

Deaths Sep 1897
                          Hartshorne Isabella Annetta 34 Bethnal G. 1c 175
                          ;D NONA
                          VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR Som/Glos COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, BROWN Ledbury, Bromyard, Herefordshire, Worcs, NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent, CROWE, REYNOLDS Suffolk, CARLSON/CHARLSON Sweden/E Ldn, COX Wilts 'Trego STILES', DORTON Middx, Surrey
                          PROBABLE IMPOSSIBILITIES ARE TO BE PREFERRED TO IMPROBABLE POSSIBILITIES - ARISTOTLE

Comment

hI

It may not be her as there is also an Isabella Annetta

Name:
                            Name: Isabella Annette Hartshorn Mother: Susannah Jane Hartshorn Father: Thomas Hartshorn Birth: 23 Nov 1864 - Tower Hamlets, Middlesex
                            Last edited by Nona; 24-04-10, 13:10.
                            ;D NONA
                            VEAL, PRICE, STURGE, BELLET, DREW, TAYLOR Som/Glos COTTERELL, NAPPER, NASH, FLEETWOOD, HANDLEY, COLLINS, BROWN Ledbury, Bromyard, Herefordshire, Worcs, NASH, TYLER Warks, Kent, CROWE, REYNOLDS Suffolk, CARLSON/CHARLSON Sweden/E Ldn, COX Wilts 'Trego STILES', DORTON Middx, Surrey
                            PROBABLE IMPOSSIBILITIES ARE TO BE PREFERRED TO IMPROBABLE POSSIBILITIES - ARISTOTLE

Comment

Hello Nona, yes that is the death index entry for Isabella.

Comment

She was baptised aged 2, in a batch with her siblings at Christchurch Spitalfields, so it is the correct baptism also.

Comment

Working...
                                X