Wills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wills

how do I find out if someone left a will in 1859 please?

Joyce

Luckily you can search (or ask someone else to do it) the Probate Calendars. They were published from 1858 (lucky!) and cover all of England an Wales in a volume for each year. Wills usually went to probate soon after the death but can be several years or more later.

Copies of the Probate Calendars are held at most county archives, and some libraries. If you find the person did leave a will you can purchase a copy from York.

Read all about it in FTF Reference Library here http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...ls-and-Probate

Anne

Comment

thank you Anne

Joyce

Comment

And for Scottish wills from the year dot to 1901 you can do a free search on ScotlandsPeople. Downloads cost £5, irrespective of the number of pages.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

another daft question...I found the will now what do I do to get a copy? I am guessing I need the ref. but it's not very clear, can someone with good eyes take a look on FMP please

Index to death duty registers 1796 - 1903
          Page 4 of 5 Martin 1859-1859

Joyce

Comment

This gives you details about how to obtain a copy, Joyce.

I think the reference is Bangor 4 1219 Someone has initialised it but I don't think you need that
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

thanks for helping me Elizabeth, this is my first time researching wills

Joyce

Comment

Working...
              X