Did they all die in a House Fire ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did they all die in a House Fire ??

Thought I would have a go at my Husbands tree for a change , found something quite interesting.
    This image in 1901 shows 4 women all Straw Hat Sewers
    Sarah Allardyce the mother of Minnie and Mabel and Minnies Daughter Ada all died in the June quarter of 1901 just a short time later .
    Now I am very curious but would not normally send for the Certs as it wont help me much in my research and would have to get all 4 ,but this has got me intrigued is there anyway of finding if there was a Housefire which seems logical ???

Perhaps a factory fire might be a possibility too, though iirc a lot of straw work was done in the home. Were there any local outbreaks of disease at the time - another possibility? Local newspaper archives would seem the best starting point I reckon.

Kate x

Comment

thanks Kate suppose it could have been in a factory ? hadn't thought of that.

Comment

Val

They could also have died of some infectious disease like measles, cholera and so on.

There might be something in the local paper?

OC

Comment

thanks OC I wish I hadn't found them now as I can see 4 certs being ordered and I cannot really afford it.

Comment

The Times Thursday, Jun 06, 1901; pg. 11; Issue 36474; col F
            Disastrous Fire At Luton.
            ...broke out at 7.30 in eth morning ...due to the explosion of a paraffin lamp...

Christine
            (sorry - watching Foyle's War!)
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

wow Christine you are good I will let you watch Foyles War as a reward LOL thats terrible poor things wonder if I can find that myself ??? off to see

Comment

In full...

A disastrous fire, involving the loss of four lives, broke out at 7.30 yesterday morning in the second of a row of seven old cottages in Castle-street, Luton. The outbreak is supposed to be due to the explosion of a paraffin lamp which was found by the firemen when turning over the ruins afterwards. The fire appears to have set the room ablaze instantly, and before the occupants had time to realize the danger the flames were travelling along the roofs of the other cottages. Mrs Sarah Allardyce, a widow of 60, and her two daughters (Mrs Levi, 35, May Allardyce, 26) were almost immediately suffocated and burnt to death. The granddaughter, Ada Levi, 16, ran downstairs through the flames and was taken out through the door. She was carried to the Bute Hospital, but was so badly burnt that she died two hours afterwards. The fire brigade extinguished the fire in an hour, but the six cottages were destroyed and teh inhabitants lost all their possessions. The women who lost their lives were straw hat workers. Their bodies were found all togethe near the window, which was only 9ft from the ground. The elder victims, it is thought, were probably asleep when the fire began.
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

oh Christine I just paid to look at it and was coming back to ask how to get rid of the option bar as I couldnt see the last words ?? thanks so much hope I didnt disturb Foyles War too much
                  I am sorry I asked in a way how terrible for them

Comment

Hello Val - you've salved my conscience for doing the transcription, at least.

Were you able to download the image, if you'd paid to see it?

Christine

Comment

the answer is no but dont worry I copied it from here and have saved it ,thank you very much I only started on his tree again as a contact was in touch asking about Sarah's Father, feel quite sad now poor things .
                      I am trying desperately to think of who else I can look for on The Times till it runs out ?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                        the answer is no but dont worry I copied it from here and have saved it ,thank you very much I only started on his tree again as a contact was in touch asking about Sarah's Father, feel quite sad now poor things .
                        I am trying desperately to think of who else I can look for on The Times till it runs out ?
                        If you paid to see it, you should have been able to download the image. I'd be inclined to contact them to query the situation if you can't.

And I'd try putting in any unusual names in your tree - inverted commas do work to make names into a single search-term, the same way as in Google. Also any military names (tho' they should appear in the Gazette if they're in the Times). Inventors, MPs, ...

Christine
                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 18-04-10, 22:03.

Comment

Oh, bulls-eye, Val!

But why on earth did you immediately think they had died in a fire? That's spooky!

OC

Comment

thanks Christine will do if I have to stay up all night .
                            OC I just thought all 4 were straw Hat Sewers and Straw is so combustible I know as there are loads of fires here each year with people setting fire to the straw bales ,and they go up in no time ,plus a lot of people worked at home then.
                            Mind you I am gobsmacked really as from just noseying a bit tonight I have found out an awful lot ,such as Sarah never married but had two illigitimate children , and now I have found Minnies husband in the criminal registers .
                            And my husband says my family were common ???????????????

Comment

What a tragic story and made so much more poignant by seeing them all together on the census only a few weeks before their deaths.

On the other hand - what a result for internet reasearch!!! From thought to answer in one evening!

Anne

Comment

its very sad isnt it Anne I had to brace myself to read the article and when I told my husband off for not getting upset he said Well I never knew them?

Comment

That is sad Val. At least now they are remembered.
                                  Kit

Comment

I am wondering if the person who contacted me knows about this as she never mentioned it ?

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                      In full...
                                      What absolutely fantastic information Christine has found for you Val. Horrible death for them very sad. But, this is a great example of the team work that happens here on ftf.

Never watched Foyles War & seen it mentioned on FTF a few times now, so will start watching it.

Wallaby
                                      We should never forget them,
                                      Because we would not be here today, but for them.
                                      We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
                                      Because we all have them…
                                      Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                        its very sad isnt it Anne I had to brace myself to read the article and when I told my husband off for not getting upset he said Well I never knew them?
                                        Hmmmm I have one like that at home too Val.

W
                                        We should never forget them,
                                        Because we would not be here today, but for them.
                                        We should be proud, reflect, respect and always remember them.
                                        Because we all have them…
                                        Them… were our Ancestors.

Comment

Working...
                                        X