Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elizabeth Strickley...still missing on 1881 census..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elizabeth Strickley...still missing on 1881 census..

Hello folks, I am having a problem finding this lady on the 1881 census. She was born 1840 in Tanworth Warwickshire. She is with her parents on the 1841/51 & 61 ( married name Warner) She marries again 1867, but is shown as a widow yet again on the 1871:
    49 gt Barr Street Aston B'ham
    Elizabeth Strickley, widow, 30, dressmaker
    Emma strickley, 3 ( I have all the census info on Emma 1871/ 1911)
    Charles Richard Strickley, 11 months b B'ham

1881 NO SIGN OF ELIZABETH & CHARLES.

I found a marriage in B'ham 1899 for Elizabeth Strickley & JOHN SMALL.

I found them on the 1901:
    JOHN SMALL, 56, 1845, b Wednesbury
    Elizabeth Small, 61, 1840, b Tanworth
    Elizabeth Small, 21 b B'ham
    Amy Small, 19, b B'ham.

I then decided to look at the 1891 & found this:...
    310 Adderley Rd Aston B'ham
    John Small, 46, b Wednesbury
    Elizabeth Small, 45, b Tanworth. So I assume they were living together before their 1899 marriage.
    RICHARD STICKLEY, Single, 21, Boarder b B'ham ( This must be Charles Richard Strickley???)
    Thomas, Small, 22
    Richard Small, 16
    Sam Small, 14
    Sarah Small, 19,
    Lizzy Small ,12 ( Young Elizabeth?)
    Amy Small, 10.

Once again I looked on the 1881 & had no luck at all finding this family....was Elizabeth & Charles Richard with them?? There is no way that Elizabeth Strickley could be the mother of the older Small children....so who was their mother?? I really would appreciate any help or advise in where to look now to locate this family.

NOTE: I found a death for Elizabeth Small, Meriden, March Qtr 1902 aged 63.

NOTE: I have been able to find Charles Richard Strickley on every census 1891- 1911 so he has not proved a problem EXCEPT for the 1881...which is where I started this thread....HELP !

Many thanks for looking at my post,
    Margaret.
    Last edited by skylark; 18-04-10, 18:43.
    Family Names : HALE, GREEN, BROUGH, HARRIS, FARMER, REEVES, MINCHIN, CORNISH, WARD.

Hi Found a Elizabeth Strickley on 1881 Census, don't know if it is yours:

Living at 10, Portland St, Aston, Warwickshire

She is living with a Jospeh Strickley, who she is married to.

She was born in Warwickshire in 1840.

Joseph was born in Warwickshire in 1837. He is a commercial Traveller.

Does this make any sense?

Best Wishes

AncestryAssistant

Comment

I might have found John on 1881 Census:
      Looks like him and Elizabeth were living with his parents if this is the right one.

John Small - Head - Married -Age 60 -1821 - Blacksmith - Wednesbury
      Amy Small - Wife - Married - Age 58 - 1823 - West Bromwich
      John Small - Son - Married - Age 35 - 1846 - Gas Tube Cutter - Wednesbury
      Elizabeth Small - Daughter in law - Married - Age 32 - 1849 - Wednesbury

Comment

RICHARD STICKLEY, Single, 21, Boarder b B'ham ( This must be Charles Richard Strickley???)
        When you look at the image, there's a squiggle which suggests that the transcription is inaccurate, and it should be STRICKLEY. I've submitted a correction.

Christine

PS - AncestryAssistant - Welcome to FTF! - you're doing a great job! It's normally Elaine... Spain who finds invisible people on the censuses. I'm sure she'll be glad to have some company.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Many thanks for your input on my post..sadly I am inclined to dimiss the 2 Strickleys found on the 1881 ( Elizabeth was a widow on the 1871..her husband was Thomas Strickley & he died in 1870 aged 33) It is a huge coincidence that she could be with someone called Joseph Strickley..& where was her son Charles Richard Strickley at this time??? The same thought about the Small couple found on the 1881...The Elizabeth Small is younger than the one I am seeking ( but it could well be the 1st wife of John Small..but again where are their 5 children born between 1869 - 1879 ???) This is a problem family however you look at it !!!
          My thanks to you for looking for them ...

Margaret.
          Family Names : HALE, GREEN, BROUGH, HARRIS, FARMER, REEVES, MINCHIN, CORNISH, WARD.

Comment

Hello again folks, I am still having problems finding this family on the 1881 census....but... I have now sent for the marriage certificate for JOHN SMALL & ELIZABETH STRICKLEY in 1899 & happily it is for correct couple, as her Fathers name is given as George Minchin...the witnesses appear to be connected with St Bartholemews.

Margaret.

Comment

Just to say that John Small bn circa 1846 is still showing as being single in the 1871 census and is at home with his parents that are visible in the 1881 above.

so not sure who the older names 'Small' children belong to
              WendyP

Comment

1871. Living: Bordesley, Aston, Warwickshire

John Small , head, 25, Warehouseman, Birmingham
                Elizabeth Small, wife, 21, Birmingham
                Thomas H Small, son, 2, Birmingham
                John Small, son, 5 months, Birmingham

Comment

In case it's relevant to anyone looking at this thread, I have a Bordesley/Aston link between SMALL and BENNETT...

Gertrude Lil(l)ian SMALL (1874)* m Arthur BENNETT (Nov/Dec 1873)
                  *parents: John 1845-6 B'ham, iron bedstead maker; Annie 1847-8 B'ham

There's more info, obviously, but I don't want to burden this thread with irrelevancies. Send me a PM if you want more info?

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                  X