Immigration query.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immigration query.

Margaret Cook aged 26 and her children Arthur 6.Harold 5.Douglas 4 and Willis May 3 arrived in Liverpool 10/2/1917 from Portland ,Oregon having been domiciled in Canada. There is an address next to the family, would this be an address that they would be settling making for? It says she was a housewife, but she was unaccompanied . Willis May married in 1935 in Birkenhead and I am awaiting her marriage cert . In the meantime how do I find the others? or am I expecting too much?

sunny

Normally there are headings on the lists to tell you what the various entries were about. Are you not able to tell from that?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine, the address wasn't under a heading at all just a bracket indicating that it referred to the whole family, and Portland as embarkation port, Liverpool as disembarkation port. Some of the families had no addresses and others as the Cook family. ref:

sunny

Comment

I suppose if she wasn't a married woman it would have indicated that she was single, not housewife.

sunny

Comment

If the address isn't under a heading, then I'd say your guess as to its significance is as good as anyone else's. Having said that, it's worth getting views from others in case they come up with something you hadn't thought of, but which makes more sense to you, once suggested.

It seems most likely to be some kind of contact address - their most recent address, or the one they're heading for.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I haven't had much experience with people travelling INto the UK.
            However, I did have one married couple (both English) with two children, travelling from Canada.
            Two addresses were given:
            the husband had a London address, whilst the wife and boys were bracketed together with a Norfolk address.
            Husband's parents lived in London (and husband had previously worked in a London hospital)
            Wife's parents lived in the Norfolk village.

In later life, the boys were London based, as this was where their father worked -
            my guess is that the addresses were their immediate destinations.
            Perhaps mother and sons were just visiting her parents, or possibly they went to live with them for a short time, until the family found a suitable house in London.

Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Thanks Jay I thought it would be an address they would be heading for on embarkation too.

sunny

Comment

Hi Sunny
                The address as I read it was 24 Aldburgh St E Greenwich. Just in case these people are related the occupants of 24 AldEburgh St in 1911 were Beatrice Ellen Saunders 1883 & William Charles Saunders 1885. William Manners 1879, Annie Manners 1880, Harry Manners 1902, Gerlie (Gertie?) Manners 1905 & Arthur Manners 1910. Possibility that Annie & Beatrice were sisters, maiden name Norris.
                Moggie

Comment

Thanks Moggie I will look for a marriage for a Margaret Norris,Saunders of Manners who married a man named Cook before going to Canada and having their 1st child born 1909/10

sunny

Comment

Hi Sunny
                    In the 1911 Canadian census, living Hamilton, Ontario there's a Margaret Cook age 22 with husband Arthur age 29 & sons Arthur age 2 & Harold age 1. The ages are a bit out from the passenger list & unfortunately it's a common surname. Arthur senior arrived in 1906 & Margaret in 1907. In 1916 Attestation papers show an Arthur Cook(wife Margaret) from Hamilton, Ontario signing up to join the Canadian Over-Seas Expeditionary Force. Arthur's date of birth 31st Jan 1882, place of birth Stockton-on-Tees, Durham.
                    Moggie

Comment

Thanks so much Moggie will look into those facts, sounds promising doesn't it.

sunny

Comment

Found the Cooks, 3 generations now have to certificate them..!!

sunny

Comment

Originally posted by Sunny Rosy View Post
                          Found the Cooks, 3 generations now have to certificate them..!!

sunny
                          Hi
                          Where did you find them?
                          Moggie

Comment

Census' in Stockton Durham, Arthur's parents were Thomas and Rose Hannah Cook (but can't find their marriage about 1865/6) Thomas was on the1841 with mother Elizabeth Cook aged 25 with brother Wm and sister Eliza (don't know yet if she was married or not) still looking.Sorry that's only 2 gens: Elizabeth did marry William Pryer in 1847 and had two more children to him.

sunny
                            Last edited by Sunny Rosy; 18-04-10, 23:14.

Comment

Hi Sunny
                              I think I have found Arthur (son of Thomas) & Margaret's marriage in Canada. Do you have a sub on Ancestry to look at it if I give you the details?
                              Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie i have p'md you

sunny

Comment

Working...
                                X