Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone have any tips for finding a marriage on Scotlandspeople?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have any tips for finding a marriage on Scotlandspeople?

I am trying to find a marriage between a Alexander Buchan occupation Mason or Brick and Tile Maker and his wife Margaret as I need to find her maiden name ?
    It could be Montomery ?
    First child William is born in 1826 and baptised in Crimond Aberdeenshire .
    I dont seem to get on with Scotlandspeople very well.
    Is there a way of putting Husbands occupation ??
    Thanks

First thing to remember is that civil registration only started in 1855. That means that the marriage, if it is recorded, will be in the OPRs (Old Parochial Records). And you can only search using the data that's been indexed, which is basically names and places. And Church of Scotland only. And you are at the whim of the minister as to how much was recorded. Off to have a quick look.
    Last edited by Uncle John; 17-04-10, 20:24.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Between 1800 and 1825 in Aberdeenshire there were 11 marriages of Alexander Buchan. If you buy or have some credits that list will cost you one credit (20p). There are up to 25 entries on a page so you can broaden your search. For example for the same span of dates there are only 21 matches, so that would cost the same.

Comment

I was looking in the parish records Uncle John thanks very much but none of the ones for Alexander seemed to match ??? unless of course I used the wrong dates?
        I do have credits which are rapidly running out .
        Shall try again thanks .

Comment

The OPRs vary a lot in how much is recorded. It's also very easy to redo a search that you've already done! So look in your list of past searches as well.

I had a look in the wills but there's no sign of him.

Comment

ooh never thought of that , he did own a Brick and Tile company so would have thought he left a will???
            Funny thing is his wife got baptised in 1834 it says requested to be baptised into Episcopal Church?? and her husband was present ,do you know what that means ??? thanks

Comment

I tend to look on the IGI or Scots Origins (where you can search by county) for OPR's before going to scotlandspeople. Do you know when she died - if it was after 1855 in Scotland then the death certificate should have both her parents names if known.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Did one of their children die in Scotland after 1855? If so, it is well worth looking for the death certificate as this would/should/could give the full names of both parents including mother's maiden name ... examples of what you will find on a certificate can be found here: http://www.familytreeforum.com/conte...ottish-Records
                Caroline
                Caroline's Family History Pages
                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

ooh have found her death on Ancestry she was a Montgomery thanks everyone I love Ancestry .

Comment

Hi Val,
                    Aberdeen and North East Family History Society (just google it) have a website with brief descriptions of MI's - not the full inscription but names and dates.
                    I have entered your name and wonder if the list below is of any use to you -
                    Kirkyard of Crimond and Rattray.
                    Stone 158
                    Jessie Buchan, 16 July 1866
                    Alexander Buchan, 8 April 1868
                    Alexander Buchan 30 January 1877
                    Margaret Montgomery 25 Aug 1878
                    Margaret Craighead Buchan 12 Sept 1878
                    Elizabeth Rothney 14 May 1883
                    Last edited by herky; 17-04-10, 21:53. Reason: Sorry - added one wrong name
                    herky
                    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

wow thats my lot yes thats my Alexander and his wife thats their death dates how fantastic thanks very much off to have a nosey

Comment

Hi Val - apologies for error in one name in my rush - I have edited it but you can see the proper thing on the website.
                        herky
                        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

just been back on scotlands people and found her death but it says husband Alexander Buchan a Crofter ???? thats not the same as a Mason is it ??? although there surely cant be two Margaret Montgomerys marrying a Alexander Buchan ??about the same time

Comment

Val I searched OPR via Scotlands People and found Margaret Montgomery born 19/7/1806 with parents listed as Robt Montgomery & Katharine Wynnas born in Belhelvie Aberdeen. Probably not worth printing off for 5 credits as they OPR don't give any more information but looks to be the correct one as it looks the same parents listed on Margaret's death certificate just slightly different spelling

Steven

Comment

Also have a marriage of Robert Montgomery to Catherine Wyness on 11/8/1792 in Belhelvie Aberdeen. As you can see spelling differs depending on who transcribes or notes the event

Hope this helps

Steven

Comment

Does it help ??? you are kind thanks so much Steven that must be her and her parents.

Comment

Val I cannot be certain but only 1 birth on the OPR for Robert Montgomery born in Belhelvie Aberdeen. Date of birth given as 12/11/1760 with parents noted as Robert Montgomery and Elspet Laing.

Also 1 marriage noted for Robert Montgomery and Elspet Laing given as 9/7/1752 in Old Machar, Aberdeen City.

The last one is a real shot in dark but there is an Elspet Laing born Belhelvie, Aberdeen on 30/9/1734 with father noted as Robert Laing

Regards

Steven

Comment

thanks very much Steven thats really kind of you this will help a lot .

Comment

Oooh, Val, I have Wyness from Aberdeen. Off to check my tree a minute......

OC

Comment

Working...
                                      X