Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My latest research for Irish rellies payed off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My latest research for Irish rellies payed off!

;D I recently discovered that my grandfather's brother Francis Pollard born 1890 died at the age of 5 weeks, yet there he was on the 1911 Dublin Census aged 13 with his parents. Then I found a birth for Francis Dominick Pollard born in 1898, got the certificate and he was my Grandfather's brother too.

Checked out the Glasnevin Cemetery Burial Records on line http://www.interment.net/ireland/index.htm and found this........ Buried in Glasnevin Cemetery.....Pollard, Lieut. Francis Domino, d. 2 May 1970, s/o Joseph & Margaret ( Four Courts Garrison 1916)

My Gt Grandparents were Joseph & Margaret Pollard too!

F. Pollard of 31 Lower Dominick St, Dublin is listed in the 1916 Rebellion Handbook. He was amongst the 289 prisoners who were removed from Richmond Barracks, Dublin on 30th April and lodged in Stafford Detention Barracks on 1st May.

My grandfather James Pollard was living at 31 Lower Dominick, St Dublin when he married in 1913.

So armed with this info I posted a message on http://www.dublin.ie/forums/

Today, some kind soul on the dublin forum site looked up the Death Notice of Francis Domino Pollard for me and this is what he found.

POLLARD (Dublin) - May 2, 1970, at his residence, 14 Galtymore Pk., Drimnagh,
    Francis Dominic, dearly beloved husband of Louisa Pollard (nee Dolly O'Sullivan)
    late Lt. C. Coy., First Batt., Dublin Brigade, Old I.R.A., member of Four Courts Garrison, 1916; deeply regretted by his loving wife, brothers, relatives and friends. R.I.P.
    Funeral from Church of Our Lady of Good Counsel, Mourne Rd., to-morrow (Monday) after 10 o'c. Mass to Glasnevin Cemetary.

Drimnagh is in Co. Dublin so I shall be ordering his death certificate very soon and I also found that Francis Pollard married Louisa O'Sullivan in 1920, Dublin...another certificate to order!

Francis & Louisa Pollard were found living at 12 Valentia Parade, Dublin per 1939-1940 Electoral Roll. http://www.dublinheritage.ie/electoral/search.php This website was given to my a member of dublin forums website.

My motto is...never give up searching!
    teresa

Well done!
    And wonderful to have a rellie directly involved in the 1916 rebellion. I'm sure you'll be able to find loads of background information on the Rising, and probably on your rellie's involvement.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
      Well done!
      And wonderful to have a rellie directly involved in the 1916 rebellion. I'm sure you'll be able to find loads of background information on the Rising, and probably on your rellie's involvement.
      I only bought the book as my Mum's cousin told me a few years ago that his father Stephen Pollard (now deceased) brother of Francis Dominick Pollard, was imprisoned at Frongoch Camp in Wales but was released some months later without charges. Some released 22 December 1916 .

No names of any of the prisoners released.....who were not charged.

For anyone researching their Irish relatives this book holds a wealth of info including British soldiers who died or were wounded and Irish civilians who were crushed to death by the crowds during the Uprising.

Not just Dubliners involved either!
      teresa

Comment

Sent an email to all of my Pollard distant relatives and now one of them has just told me that his Gt Grandfather, another brother of my Grandfather was involved in the 1916 Uprising in Dublin too! Seems that they didn't like to talk about it either. Makes you wonder if it caused friction amongst the family as I know my Mum never mentioned any of her uncles or aunties to me apart from an aunty who who lived in the USA!
        teresa

Comment

Working...
        X