FTM 2010 no images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2010 no images

I dont know whats wrong but when I imported my Ancestry Tree into it only about 10 Photos came with it even though I have a couple of hundred, I have since done quite a bit on my Tree so decided to try and import it again this time no Photos came at all ????????
    Any ideas ??? thanks

Hi Val, I have a similar problem. I got FTM 2010 and assumed like in the past that it would automatically pick up everything from my 2005 version. Instead I had to upload 2005 to Ancestry and then Download back to 2010. Consequently some of my photos have not uploaded and I have mothers missing as well. ( But I will post another thread re this problem.) Since I have discovered this photo problem, I am too scared to download from Ancestry back to 2010, incase it overrides everything. I think the problem lies in the fact that in 2005 all photo's etc are in the scrapbook. My prob is that these photos were on my old computer, in the scrapbook. But I don't have the photos on my new computer separately as they were originally sent to me via email some 6 years ago, and I put them straight into the scrapbook, and didn't save them separately, stupidly assuming they would be there for ever. Now I can't even copy them from 2005, and place them in a separate area in my computer, so I can upload them to Ancestry. ( Is this making sense?). Thankfully, I haven't deleted 2005, but now I have stacks of info from Ancestry, which is not in FTM and was hoping that by downloading back to FTM, that both would be equal. I'm in a quandry as to what to do? Funnily enough, I had printed them out on normal paper, but scanning these turns them into rubbish!
    Jackie
    Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

Comment

sorry I didnt answer this sooner Jackie only just spotted it , as replies are very slow on here now .
      I have decided to stick with FTM 2006 as I just cannot get on with 2010 at all.
      Given up trying to import to 2010 as the Photos just disappear , let me know if you solve your problems and thanks again.

Comment

Hi Val and Jackie

I purchased the '2010 upgrade' of Family Tree Maker and have experienced the same problem as regards photos. The blurb on the advert for 2010 upgrade says it will import a file. That's rubbish as it does not bring across photos even if you have them on the same computer saved as separate photos. I have heaps in my FTM scrapbook, too many to stuff around manually bring across... and do all the words again. I have just emailed the FTM support asking what gives!!! Will let you know! Meanwhile I honestly think 2006 has a better interface...the 2010 is messy. Janet
        I've lost my aunty! ANNIE SMITH last known address 232 WEST PARADE, LINC'S in 1939.

Comment

Originally posted by jangar55 View Post
          The blurb on the advert for 2010 upgrade says it will import a file. That's rubbish as it does not bring across photos even if you have them on the same computer saved as separate photos.
          It will only import them if you have saved them into the FTM scrapbook (on 2005/2006). If you have saved them as separate files on your computer then you will need to attach them to your tree for them to be saved as part of FTM.
          Elaine

Comment

a tip

when transferring the FTM file to a newer version you need to make sure the file is in the correct format. Gedcom and PDF will not media transfer. Make sure its a FTM file, I actually used my back up file after much dilly dallying and fussing around.

Another query tho....how do you edit photos on the new 2010 version of FTM. I have several group shots and only want the one person. Ie where's the crop/edit features?

Thanks Elaine...you're a calming person to us computer frustrated lot!

Janet
            I've lost my aunty! ANNIE SMITH last known address 232 WEST PARADE, LINC'S in 1939.

Comment

As you say, make sure you are trying to import from a FTM data file. Any GEDCOM transfer is data only and does not contain images.

Re editing the photos. When you install FTM 2010 you will find that a new folder called Family Tree Maker is automatically created in My Documents. This folder contains your data file. When you attach images to FTM a new subfolder is created which holds these images - this subfolder is called <name of tree> Media.
              FTM is not an image manipulation program - so once you have attached images to your tree you cannot edit them through FTM - you really need to do this before you have attached them to your FTM file, using whatever program you normally use for images.
              Elaine

Comment

So the image crop/size etc etc that was available on the FTM2006 version is not a feature of the 2010?

Comment

Well you learn something new every day. Having been a FTM users for years never knew you could edit images in FTM2006!

For 2010 the instructions are as follows:

To open and edit a media file
                  1. Click Media > Detail.
                  2. Use the Media Navigation bar to locate and select the media you want to edit.
                  3. Click Open file on the Media Detail bar. The file opens in the Windows default viewer or editor.

I tried this and the image just opens up in a default Windows viewer with no option to edit. :(

I still think that you are far better off manipulating your image before adding it to your tree particularly if you are using FTM2006 which stores the images in the scrapbook at a very much reduced resolution.
                  Elaine

Comment

Because of the 50% off ancestry world wide sub offer with FTM2010 Im thinking of getting it. I see it has the home page and internet storage facilities that 2006 had but Ive been using ancestrys tree to update my stuff for a while now including lots of photos Ive exchanged with other ancestry members. Does the 2010 import the ancestry tree including your photo gallery please?

Oh just found this online:

In an earlier post, the ability to download a file from Ancestry.com was discussed, using Family Tree Maker, Version 2009 Plan - New F...
                    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 07-06-10, 09:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                      I see it has the home page and internet storage facilities that 2006 had
                      Although I don't have it myself, I have seen a copy of the FTM 2010 World edition.

It's not the same as the 2006 whereby you can create a home page through FTM, or directly back up to the internet with a click of a button. The package comes with two extra discs. One is a "creating website" piece of software and the other is a "back up and protect" software package - both stand alone programs.

This link gives you a little more information as to its content. http://www.genealogysupplies.com/ind...rodid=5861.ref
                      Elaine

Comment

Thanks elaine, Im trying to weigh up whether its worth me buying it at the 50% off world sub - do I really need the world sub?

I still have a year sub on premium with ancestry.

Comment

You don't have to activate the subscription immediately - it can be done at any time. I recently activated a 6 month free sub which came with FTM2010 which I purchased last August.
                          Elaine

Comment

has anybody tried that link from Heather and did it work ?? I cant find the options they say

Comment

At £49.99 with free postage in the UK and a six month world subscription to Ancestry then I think it is certainly worth it!
                              Heather also mentioned a further discount if you buy through Quidco.
                              A 6 month UK premium sub is valued at £53.70, although with a phone call you might manage to get a 20% discount which would bring it down to £43.00.

Pity they don't post outside the UK or else I think I would get a copy.
                              Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                                has anybody tried that link from Heather and did it work ?? I cant find the options they say
                                Val, if you add the item to your cart then you will see a space to enter the promotional code.
                                Not sure about the extra discount via Quidco - don't know how that works.
                                Elaine

Comment

Val, you go to quidco, enter the name of the company then look for familytreemaker 2010 world wide add it to your basket and then its got promo code - put that code in, update the basket and there you go. Ive done a trial run and it does work. I assume you will get 25% cash back from quidco even though you are using a promo code.

Comment

oops sorry meant the one to import your file from Ancestry

Comment

whoope done it got all my photos into FTM 2010 from Ancestry , but dont ask me how ?

Comment

Oh brilliant val, in that case, I think Ill buy the 50% off 2010.

Just bought it via pay pal. £50 off and hopefully another £12 cash back by using quidco.
                                        Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 07-06-10, 19:16.

Comment

Working...
                                        X