Searching for probates in Holborn - changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching for probates in Holborn - changes

If you plan to visit First Avenue House in Holborn, London to search for wills, be warned that the search room is now half the size and has moved to the 7th floor. No lockers available any more so travel light and be prepared to keep sidestepping around other researchers.

And they will not allow cameras, they lock them away & you reclaim on leaving. They'll confiscate any knife and you'll have to apply in writing to get it back if they don't think you have legitimate reason to have it the police get it, (luckily my tiny blunt penknife that I have on my keyring was at home as it was too much trouble checking it in & out last visit)
    Last edited by Jill on the A272; 15-04-10, 18:01. Reason: forbidden items

Thanks for the warning, Jill. I'm hoping to pay a visit there some time soon so at least I'll be prepared!

Comment

I wonder if the downsize is to do with the supposed release of online indexes???
      Jay

Comment

That seemed to be the gossip among other family history researchers, it's a pity they didn't wait until after they go online though.
        Last edited by Jill on the A272; 16-04-10, 14:10. Reason: spotted a typo

Comment

I does make sense to reduce the size of the search room & move it too as I assume they anticipate once the online indexes are released the need to visit Holborn will reduce.

Sense would tell you to do this after the release tho but then maybe the release is imminent. I hope it is as there's nowhere local to me that has the probate index.
          Jay

Comment

Working...
          X