Inghams of Wickenby Lincs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inghams of Wickenby Lincs

New to this. Have traced back to 1806 Joseph Ingham. Been to Lincoln records office and all of his documents were destroyed by fire!. Have gone back to 1768 for an Ingham family William and Ann and also to another family Edward and Catherine 1788. Unable to link to Joseph 1806. All possibly linked as population of Wickenby in 1800 was 119. Can anyone give me a pointer where to look next?

Welcome to FTF, John!

I'm afraid I can't immediately think of anything very helpful... you seem to have done the conscientious stuff that many folks miss out - and been very unlucky over that fire-destruction.

The normal sorts of records I'd be looking for at that kind of date would include:
    *parish registers
    *wills
    *apprenticeship records
    *settlement/removal records
    *newspaper archives (some libraries give access online via our library card number)

Have you tried contacting the Lincs FHS (http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/lfhs/index.htm) to see if anyone there is researching the same family, and might have any info useful to you?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I'm assuming that, getting that far back, you've made full use of BMD certificates, and the censuses?

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Have you contacted someone called "Christine Brunn" - she shows on Ancestry (recently) has having updated the 1841 census to show Wickenby as PoB. I'd infer that she knows something about the family.

That reminds me that you could look for other researchers there on other genealogy sites, to se if anyone else has any reliable info they'll share with you - or even hunches/clues.

And that reminds me - have you tried the GedCom search here? You won't find whole trees, but you might find someone researching the same names.

Christine

Comment

Christine, Thank you for your responses. Have been through all of your helpful suggestions but to no avail. Christine Brunn, my wife's cousin, has been helping me but also to no avail. Since Joseph records were destroyed I have to approach from the other side of his birth date. It was such a small community that my 2 families of William and Edward stand a fair chance of being linked!!!! I just have to prove it!!!! Someone on theLlincs family history channel is doing similar thing and I have asked for contact.
          Regards

John

Comment

Working...
          X