Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just can't find anything about him!

Hi all,

This is my first post, so I do apologise if this is in the wrong section.

My paternal grandfather is proving rather elusive and, although I have his birth, death and marriage dates, there is absolutely no records (that I can find) concerning him.

Would anybody be kind enough to help me search for his parents. His father was similarly named James Smith, but I've no idea as to his mother's name, thus leaving me at a dead end with that branch of the family. The details I have are as follows:

b. 10 April 1920, Stepney, London.

d. 3 November 1962/3, London. (my father says he died at the end of 1962, but his death is registered in the Jan Feb Mar qtr of 1963.)

Marriage to Anne (Annie) Rose Fanna(o)n, 13 November 1948, SS Mary and Michael's Church, Stepney.

That's everything I have concerning him. I hope this is sufficient to find possible records for him.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ryan

By the way, his name was James Smith - how stupid of me! Never said it directly.

Comment

Do you have his birth certificate?

There is one on FreeBMD which could be him.

James Smith June qtr 1920 Stepney (Mother's Maiden Name Neill) 1c 536.

This will give his parents names.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Have you got a copy of his birth certificate? I ask that as James smith is a very common name and you will need this to find out what his mothers name and maiden names is

whoops wendy got there first! :D

Comment

Also on FreeBMD could be his parents marriage.

Marriage between James Smith and Catherine Neill Jun qtr 1919 St George in the East 1c 529.

This will give parents details too.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

I don't have his birth certificate, but the name Neill 'rings a bell' with my father and I am quite sure that is his mother's maiden name as I checked the BMD and several came up, but I wasn't sure.

Are there any other types of records as recent as 1920 that would contain his parents' full names. He is listed as Roman Catholic on his marriage certificate (which I have), and I have tried to find Christening records but they only go up to 1906 to my knowledge.

Comment

From the free BMD site http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/ - if you search for a birth with the person's surname, and put the mother's maiden name, in this case Neill, and then from 1919 onwards, you can see the birth registration for James - registered during the June quarter of 1920
              Smith James Neill Stepney 1c 536 - then you can obtain his birth certificate and learn about his parents.
              Looking at others that are given, he could have had a brother Patrick and a sister Ellen.
              Joy

Comment

That's the one. My mother mentioned "Aunt Ellen" and "Uncle Pat". Is that the same as the previous post her named her as Catherine Neill?

Comment

I didn't check that, only saw the names and registration districts. Have a check in the free site, I shall wait a few minutes while you do it
                  Joy

Comment

Yeah, it all seems to fit. So I can surmise that his parents were James Smith and Catherine Neill, married in 1919. I can't thank you all enough

Comment

Surmise yes, but do not ass u me :-)
                      Please send for his birth certificate, then you will have more proof and will learn their addresses plus the occupation of his father.
                      Joy

Comment

Well, I know his father to have been a "General Labourer", as was James Junior.
                        I also know their address from the marriage cert. and I can't imagine they would have moved (at least, not far) since his birth.

At this moment in time, my main aim is to get the framework of this branch of the tree and put some "meat on the bones" later on.

Once again, thank you for all your help.

Comment

You're welcome.
                          Once on a birth certificate, the informant was a grandmother - gave me a new relative
                          Happy hunting.
                          Joy

Comment

Ryan without certificates you can not be certain. You want to build a framework but all you will build is a house of cards.

Aunt Ellen and Uncle Pat may have been the close family friends next door and not blood related at all. Or they may well be your great aunt/uncle.

I understand that finances may mean you can't afford to get the certs now but just be prepared that the tree you build may fall apart the minute you get your first cert.
                            Kit

Comment

I can't stress enough - as others have already done - do send for his birth certificate! That's the only way you can be sure of his mother's name. After that you can send for the marriage certificate of his parents, knowing its likely to be correct.

With such a common name you can't cut any corners - otherwise you could easily be following the wrong family and just wasting your time. Good luck!

Anne

Comment

Working...
                              X