is my thinking off track?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is my thinking off track?

my ancestor was william pratt (1806-1862). he was born in grinton, yorkshire, and married eleanor demaine ( daughter of thomas demain and ruth spence) i think it was 1831, grinton. he lived in feetham on the census, and was a carpenter/joiner. anyway, he died in 1862, and the informant was a ralph pratt, in attendance, feetham.

so there are 2 ralph pratt's in reeth area for the census.

1) ralph was born in 1829, in melbecks, the son of john pratt (ch.1797, smarber hall independant church.) and elizabeth scott, grandson of john and rachel pratt. he is a lead miner living at smarber 1841-61, with his parents, then his siblings anne (b.1834) and michal (b.1840).

2) ralph was born 1827,melbecks, the son of michael pratt and mary. researching this ralph, he is married to an isabelle, and lives with his brother john (b.1832) and niece mary (b.1838) on the 51/61 census. he's with his mother in 1841, niece, and brothers as well. he lived in feetham the whole time.

ok sounds difficult, but there's more. in 1806, there are 2 william pratts christened in grinton. one in feb, the son of james, the other in nov, the son of michael. so, either ralph may be a nephew at this point.

well, michael pratt married mary parkin in 1804, grinton. this couple have the following children: john b.1804, william b.1806, michal b.1808, mary b.1811, joseph b.1815, ralph b.1818, and parkin b.1821.
    joseph through to parkin all have michael and mary listed as parents. there are too more children born to a michael and mary pratt, these in the methodist church: ralph b.1827 (above) and john b.1831 (living with the above ralph in the census).
    well with ralph and mary in 1841 is a michael b.1811, which i think is the one born in 1808. if this is the same couple who married in 1804, it means mary was 15, as per the 1841 census, so she would be 15 at the 1st child's birth, and 42 at the lasts. it is also possible that a burial at the same church in 1836, is for the father michael pratt, as per findmypast, which means he was born in 1780, son of john, making him 24 at marriage.

so, am i right in thinking, that my william pratt's parents were michael pratt and mary parking married at grinton in 1804?
    that michael was ch.1780 the son of john, dying in 1836, buried at the methodist church, his last 2 children were christened at?
    and that this makes michael 24 at marriage, and mary 15, being the daughter of john parking ch.in 1789?
    all this making the ralph pratt at william's death, his younger brother, not a nephew or ousin of some kind? am i being delusional, or am i onto something here?

Ive spent a lot of time trying to get to grips with your query and I stilll don't think I have it quite right. I've been looking at the 1841 census - Ancestry. Did you notice that the Mary Pratt 50 (grocer) with (son) Michael 30 (leadminer), children Ralph 14, John 9, Mary 2 are living next door but one to William Pratt 34 Joiner, Ellen 29, Mary 10, Thomas 8, Michael 3 and John 1.

Michael (30) has children with him - I suspect they are his children and that his wife also was called Mary - the ages of Ralph and John, his children now fit with Michael jnr. being their father (your ralph b.1827 and john b.1831) with mother possibly deceased.

This would suggest to me that Michael (30) is (possibly) brother to William (34) making Ralph William's nephew.

Logically this suggest that your line and Michael's line have Michael Pratt and Mary Parking as their parents.

Hope this helps

Ayse

Comment

Maybe finding a marriage for Michael jnr to Mary c 1826 and a death for Mary c. 1840 could turn up a couple of answers.

Ayse

Comment

wow, i didnt even notice that they were living near each other. that makes it more plausible that william is michael and mary's son.
        michael b.1811 seems to have died in 1842. if i get the cert, it might reveal something by way of informant, but i believe the relation to the deceased wasnt usually recorded that early.
        it is interesting that michael jr could be the father of ralph and john, only 16 when ralph is born. following in mums footsteps?

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
          wow, i didnt even notice that they were living near each other. that makes it more plausible that william is michael and mary's son.
          michael b.1811 seems to have died in 1842. if i get the cert, it might reveal something by way of informant, but i believe the relation to the deceased wasnt usually recorded that early.
          it is interesting that michael jr could be the father of ralph and john, only 16 when ralph is born. following in mums footsteps?
          I have a certificate from Sept 1837 which does state the relationship, so worth a try!!
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I've just been re-visiting the 1851 census. Mary (c1838) as you say is referred to as niece. If Ralph has named John as his brother but Mary as niece, my question would be who is she?
            1861 census Mary is still referred to as niece and now there is also a nephew George aged 2. Brother John is noted as a widower so I think that George maybe the child of John.

The other family of Pratt you referred to in your first mail - John Pratt/ Elizabeth Scott - I also wonder if futher back they may too be part of the family as the names John and Ralph are in use in that family

I had a look at the location of Feetham on Curious fox. There is a member there researching a Pratt family atr Feetham. It may be worth a look. You can join and be a free or paid member. If you are "free" member you can reply to any queries listed in green. Reeth seems to be the nearest registration district at this time.

All the best

Ayse

Comment

michal's daughter? joseph or john's maybe? yes, reeth is the reg district at the time.
              i think most of these pratt families link somewhere, the john/elizabeth one seems more recent, they use ralph and michal, maybe john and rachel parents of the john (b.1797) who married elizabeth, are the parents of michael who married mary in 1804?
              ill take a look at curious fox, and may get michael's death cert to see if it helps.

Comment

ive just taken a look on the igi. a john pratt marries rachael dolphin at grinton on 26 may 1777. michael was ch.1780. there is a rachael and a joseph ch. to a john in the 1780's as well. if all the kids from michael's batch number, are the kids of john and rachael, they are having kids till 1793. so michael ch.1780, and john ch.1797, could be brothers. michael had a son called joseph ch.1815. this would make ralph ch.1827, and william ch.1806, first cousins.

and i think it may still be plausible that michael and mary had ralph ch.1826, and john ch.1831. ive just found the burial in grinton, for ralph ch.1818 on 17 aug 1826, age 8. the second ralph was b. late 1826.

Comment

It looked to me as if the info on curious fox was from a person researching the same family. He is listed in green so is contactable without paying to join.

All the best in your hunt

Ayse

Comment

ive sent a message to the person on curiousfox, i hope they can help a little.

Comment

the person from curious fox is a descendant of john ch.1831, and says william was his elder brother!

Comment

Working...
                      X