Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop screen scrolls on its own and I have to use the ctrl key to hold it in place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop screen scrolls on its own and I have to use the ctrl key to hold it in place

How can I cure the laptop screen from jumping, as I sometimes have to hold the ctrl key to keep the place when I need to do something.

Also I have lost my @ on the laptop, it used to be in the wrong place where " should be and vise versa but it is gone and both have " when you hit them.

Last week it crashed when grandaughter used it last and I had to get a relative to come fix it but he is a very busy person, so I would appreciate a bit of help with both queries.
    I am on my main computer at the moment.
    Thank you

Edna

It sounds as though your Language options might have changed on your keyboard. It depends on what operating system you use, but somewhere in your Control Panel is an icon for selecting language - in Vista it is Regional and Language Options> then choose Keyboards and Languages then choose Change Keyboard. This gives you a list of possibilities to select. It is possible that the Keyboard needs changing from US English to United Kingdom or vice versa.

It is a similar process in XP.

I can't give you screen prints or test it further as I have an AZERTY keyboard and Belgian(comma) for mine!!.

Some keyboards have a Scroll Lock button on them which may have been hit by accident ...
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I have investigated and I don't think the Scroll Lock button has anything to do with it - but have you (maybe) pressed down on the wheel on your mouse and it got stuck??
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Thank you for your replies

I have windows XP and no mouse and I am using Firefox as my browser, (It happens in IE too) when trying to reply to this message the page jumps up so I have to hold down ctrl to hit the reply to thread message as it goes out of sight.
        When I tried to change the language setting last, it asked me for the disc which I don't have. I have just discovered the @ is back in the position of the " so I can once again use that.

I have to go out for the day so will look back in tonight

Edna

Comment

It shouldn't matter which browser you are using, and you shouldn't need a disc to switch between UK and US English. Try changing the keyboard language in the Control Panel as Caroline suggested.
          This link explains how to do so in XP: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/comp...ge-in-windows/

And a couple more:

This article describes how to change keyboard layouts in Windows 7 and earlier versions of Windows.
          Last edited by Cloggie; 14-04-10, 09:56.
          Sarah

Comment

Thank you Sarah I have followed instructions and now have a UK keyboard working as it should do.

I do still have the problem of the page jumping though, any offers of help with that.

Edna

Comment

Edna,
              It sounds to me as if we may both have the same problem with the page jumping. I posted the Thread below in February on this site but did not get a reply.
              I asked in a Computer Shop and they told me to change my browser to FireFox but it has made no difference.
              Copy of my Thread:
              Google web pages
              Has anyone any ideas please as to why my Screen keeps flicking back to Google (while typing this short message Google Home page has just blocked this screen every few seconds). This even happens when viewing the www. It is getting more frequent. Help please.
              Margaret N
              DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Hello Margaret,

My laptop stays on the same page but just moves down the page when what I want is usually near the top and the only way to get to the bit I want is to hold down the Ctrl key then scroll up.
                Now the laptop has bit the dust so will need to get someone to look at it, I got the black page with safe mode ect but it wont let me click on safe mode. Any ideas on that one.

Edna

Comment

All of a sudden my page was slipping down, I used restore, only went back a day for mine.

Comment

Working...
                  X