South African research - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South African research - help please

A will dated 1966 has named in it "my wife's nephews James Botry Ireland and John Everitt Ireland or their children etc"

They are children of a Pigott - Hilda Sybil Botry Pigott b1883 and Ernest George Ireland of Pietersburg, Transvaal (that was where George was living in 1947 from another will). Ernest George Ireland was born in 1866 in Pembrokeshire (his father was an engineer in the RN on the 1871 census).

I'm trying to establish:
    The marriage of Hilda and Ernest (Ernest was married previously to a Dollie Bromilow in 1891) (I can't find it in UK records)
    The births of James Botry and John Everitt Ireland - assuming in S Africa
    The deaths of Hilda and Ernest Ireland - again probably in S Africa
    and whether James and John have children

I've looked at the wiki for advice on S African research but I obviously have a Worzzle Gummidge head on at present.

Any help/advice graetfully received. I'm around for the rest of the day but back to work tomorrow(where they have blocked this site :() but if I can prise Bod off the computer I'll be back in the evening. This "discovery" has renewed my enthusiasm.

KR
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

The best bet is to search the NAAIRS site:

Database: All Archives Repositories and National Registers of non-public records

I had a quick look and got these interesting looking results for a search for Botry, I don't know if this link will work ...

Depending on where the records are held, you can ask the eGGSA to go and photograph them: http://www.eggsa.org/library/main.php?g2_itemId=54
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

There's also www.ancestry24.co.za which has entries for Hilda and also Christabel Botry Everitt. It doesn't show you the contents of documents but gives you dates and references which you could use to apply for documents.

Laurence.

Comment

Many thanks both. This gives me somewhere to go.
        Caroline - Your link worked great - I have no idea why it wouldn't work for me...
        Laurence - thank you for the link to Ancestry24.co.za both the ladies are "mine" so I'll apply for the documents.
        Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Working...
        X