senior of the grove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• senior of the grove?

there is a death entry on findmypast which may be mine. phillip lawrance, bur.22 dec 1789, st andrew's oving in sussex. here is a note: senior of the grove. there are 2 burials for phillip in this church, neither may be him. any idea's what senior of the grove means?

Sounds like he was Mr Phillip Lawrance senior, who lived at a place called The Grove.

Comment

I'd say this Philip was the senior (ie older) of 2 (or more) men of the same name and was resident in an area of the parish known as the Grove
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

he had a son phillip, maybe it is my man?

Comment

It sounds to me like he's the older of 2 men of the same name living at the same address, Oving's still only a tiny place (surrounded by cabbage fields & so bit whiffy when I went there a few years back) the Grove sounds like a single house.

Comment

Looking at the 1841 census Oving was in 2 enumeration districts and in the second of these, among a number of houses with the address Colworth there were two households at "Groves" -one a farmer and a female servant, the the other an ag lab and his family so quite possibly Philip senior was the farmer there when he died.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

wow. im starting to think that maybe it is my phillip. i will have to ut it aside for now, till i can do some more research.

Comment

Working...
              X