help with deaths please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with deaths please

i have thomas gadd and mary anne wills, married 1839, chichester, sussex.
    thomas was ch.1810, the son of thomas gadd and christiana mary white.
    mary ann was the daughter of robert and anne wills (no marriage found yet), born around 1816.

i have them in the 1841 and 1851 census in chichester.

1841- subdeanery, chichester ho107, piece 119, book 13

1851- subdeanery, chichester ho107, piece 1653, folio 281, page 22

thomas remarries to emma wills, mary anne's sister in 1857, camberwell. he says he is a widower, she a spinster. i have them in 1861.

1861- camberwell, Piece: 383; Folio: 7; Page: 22

after 1861, emma the second wife is a widow on all census.
    im sure that both thomas and mary anne would have died in london or sussex.

options for thomas:
    1861- Gadd, Thomas Francis- Rye
    1864- Gadd, Thomas Henry- Chichester
    1864- Gadd, Thomas- Rye
    1864- Gadd, Thomas- Shoreditch

the one for chichester is this thomas' nephew. the one for shoreditch turned out to be a 10 month baby. he never had the name francis. the 1864 rye death doesnt seem to be for an infant.
    there are no later deaths that fit age wise or place wise.

options for mary anne:
    1851- GADD, Mary Ann- Ticehurst
    1853- Gadd, Mary Ann- Lambeth
    1854- Gadd, Mary Ann- Bethnal G
    1856- Gadd, Mary Ann- Islington

the ticehurst one could be for a 7 year old b.wadhurst, an 11 year old also born wadhurst, or possibly the 11 year old's mother, b.1816.
    the 1853 death was for a 52 yo wife of joseph gadd, a waterman.

mary anne and emma wills mother died in 1859 camberwell. the earliest i have them in london is the 1857 marriage. any ideas?

Hi - do you have any addresses at all? Sometimes they can give a clue.....

Comment

the family lived in the sub deanery in chichester, till 1851. after that, they are in camberwell/lambeth area from what i can tell. thats why i thought the lambeth one for mary anne was a shoe in. it really annoys me, this couple, i managed to kill off all of their parents, and children, i just cant find their deaths!

Comment

It's annoying isn't it...I'm not sure, but I think it might mean applying for a death cert or two...

Comment

where was Thomas born ?? and what was his occupation ??? are you sure he died ??

Comment

options for thomas:
            1861- Gadd, Thomas Francis- Rye
            1864- Gadd, Thomas Henry- Chichester ~ possibly aged 16 mth
            1864- Gadd, Thomas- Rye ~ Peasmarsh, aged 74
            1864- Gadd, Thomas- Shoreditch

You may not be aware that there was a son "Thomas Lush/Lash GADD" bap 1846 and buried March 1847 aged 4 months.

options for mary anne:
            1851- GADD, Mary Ann- Ticehurst
            1853- Gadd, Mary Ann- Lambeth
            1854- Gadd, Mary Ann- Bethnal G
            1856- Gadd, Mary Ann- Islington

It seems to conflict with an acceptable scenario, but there's a burial for Mary Ann GADD in April 1888 at Heyshott (ex Chichester, to Midhurst District) aged 71.

At that sort of date - you may want to check in the Wiki Timeline - I thought that a marriage between a man and his late wife's sister was considered consanguineous by the law, so not permitted. That suggests that something very odd was going on.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thankyou christine. i was aware of thomas lush gadd, there were 4 kids in the middle of thomas and mary anne's children who all died young.
              i dont know what to think, except maybe they're deaths were not registered? thomas def isnt running around after 1861 on the census.
              and he married in london to his sister in law, so im thinking hi wife died in sussex and the family moved to london afterwards, but they may have moved there first. its very difficult!

Comment

Working...
              X