Married or a Widower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Married or a Widower

Hi - on the 1891 census, would status show as W if a man was a widower, or would it show as M for married?
    Thanks.

hello, look like it should/could show as Widr.
    Karen

Comment

Thanks Karen - I've got details from 1891 and it says M for status...but I 'think' the wife had passed away by then. Not 100% sure...so now wondering if she didn't pass away and was out visiting.

Comment

The trouble is that sometimes the enumerator just put M or W - and those letters can look very similar in script!

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've been stumped by this but a tip is to check what everyone else on the census page has. I've got one chap as M, it looks like, but I think it should be W. All the other men on the page are "Mar" for married which makes it a bit easier.

Mind you I do have men that are widowed in one census and unmarried in the next!
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks everyone....I'll look at more pages to try and get a further clue.

Comment

Working...
            X