help finding a grave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help finding a grave

how can I find a grave and an obituary in Bangor Wales? his name was Augustus Robert Martin he died in 1859

Isn't there an obit in his newspaper? - you'd think there's be a full-page spread, at least!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

North Wales Chronicle (Bangor, Wales), Saturday, December 24, 1859; Issue 1708 & Saturday, December 31, 1859; Issue 1709 ~ gives Mrs Martin's retirement notice from her late husband's newspaper ownership.

North Wales Chronicle (Bangor, Wales), Saturday, December 24, 1859; Issue 1708. ~ appears to have been signed by ARM, himself.

However...
      North Wales Chronicle (Bangor, Wales), Saturday, October 19, 1861; Issue 1801 ~
      THE LATE MR AUGUSTUS ROBERT MARTIN - We
      Were pleased to find this week that a handsome tomb-
      stone, of Ketton stone, 6ft 7in in height, has been
      erected over the grave of the above lamented gentleman,
      (late proprietor of the NORTH WALES CHRONICLE) sub-
      scribed for chiefly by the brethren of the St David's
      Lodge of Freemasons, of which he had been a faithful
      and persevering member for several years. The upper-
      most part represents a broken column, denoting the
      frailty of life; and it has on one side a very neatly
      carved masonic emblem, beneath which appears the fol-
      lowing inscription: -
      Sacred to the Memory of
      (Brother)
      AUGUSTUS ROBERT MARTIN,
      Who died November 13,
      aged 55 years.
      If you can find out where it is, the stone must be quite conspicuous!

Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 10-04-10, 20:07.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's this (Deaths) notice:
        The Morning Chronicle (London, England), Wednesday, November 16, 1859; Issue 28969
        MARTIN - On the 13th inst, aged 55 years, at his residence, Cax-
        ton-house, Bangor, Mr Augustus Robert Martin, Proprietor
        and Editor of the " North Wales Chronicle "
        The same notice (probably - but the image doesn't show properly) is also here:
        Cheshire Observer and General Advertiser: for Cheshire and North Wales (Chester, England), Saturday, November 19, 1859; pg. 7; Issue 299.

and here:
        Wrexham and Denbighshire Advertiser, and Cheshire, Shropshire and North Wales Register (Wrexham, Wales), Saturday, November 19, 1859; Issue 254.

Comment

Christine your brilliant, any idea how can I find the cemetery?

Comment

The obituary is on the back back (page 8) of this issue:
            North Wales Chronicle (Bangor, Wales), Saturday, November 19, 1859; Issue 1702.

It's a full-length column, so I don't think I can transcribe it now!

Christine

Comment

Christine your brilliant, any idea how can I find the cemetery?
              This might help?

Possibly, in combination with one of the online maps?

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 10-04-10, 20:44.

Comment

thanks Christine, can I ask how your finding all this? I have been googling for ages and got nothing! are you on a newspaper site?

Comment

The detail is from the British Library C19 collection, which is available via my library card. I didn't think it would be appropriate to put any images up.

Christine

Comment

funny thing is Christine...in all the years I have been researching, I have never found a gravestone "EVER"...they where all public graves, now you find one over 6ft tall, just goes to show you never know what your going to find. I can't wait to tell the family

Joyce

Comment

Working...
                    X