Looking for Arthur Langham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Arthur Langham

Arthur was born in 1885 in Battersea, reg. district Wandsworth and was my Grandad's brother,

He is on 1901 census but not 1911. I saw my Uncle yesterday and he said that Arthur went to New Zealand and worked for a large bank and was quite high up. He came home and Uncle remembers him going up to New Zealand House each week to collect his pension. It was Uncle's job to meet him off the bus and make sure he got home with all his money rather than going into the pub and getting rid of the majority of it there

Can't find any information about him going to NZ wondered if anyone could look up his journey back. We think his middle name was Joseph

Thank

Linda

Arthur J Langham arrived in Southampton on the SS Ionic on 6 Aug 1923. Address in the UK is given as NZ High Commission and occupation looks like Phy. Instructor. (Physical instructor?) Age 36. Country of last permanent Residence, NZ, country of future residence England. He embarked at Wellington.
    He travelled 3rd class

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

I have also found an entry for AJ Langham born 1885, arriving in Sydney on 23 Feb 1907 on the Ayrshire, departing from Liverpool. I wondered if this might be your chap en route to NZ.

(That's all the info given)

Linda
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thank you very much Linda.

I'll follow those leads up

Linda

Comment

There's a 1921 reference here:
          http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi...angham+%22-all
          to Arthur Joseph LANGHAM, but he seems a bit disreputable, so presumably not yours.

and a 1915 ref here:

in the list of the wounded.

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 10-04-10, 20:53.
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for that Christine..you can never tell. I have just spoken to Uncle (88) and he said that they could never work out why Arthur came back if he was supposed to have had a great job. Also he had some sort of brain operation and had a metal plate in his head...and Uncle said he acted really strange.

I'll try to find out some more

Linda

Comment

The metal plate in his head may have been as the result of an injury.One of my Uncles was injured at Monastery hill in Italy in WW2 and had metal plates in his head. He suffered horrendous headahes at times.

Comment

This seems to have been what was going on for the WW1 injury:
                As the futile attacks continued at Helles, the Allies began looking at alternative strategies to break the deadlock. Lieutenant-General Birdwood, the ANZAC commander, formulated a plan to break through the Ottoman lines at Anzac and seize the heights of the Sari Bair range, including Chunuk Bair.

If it were a head injury - Jac has voiced my own thought - then it could have been the reason for the metal plate.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Might be worth pursuing this:

LANGHAM, Arthur Joseph - WW1 10/5 - Army
                  1914 - 1918

Christine

Comment

Thank you Jac and Christine.

Will have another chat with Uncle when we see him on Thursday

Linda

Comment

Working...
                    X