Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Witness signatures written in Irish/Gaelic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Witness signatures written in Irish/Gaelic!

I recently obtain a marriage certificate of one of my Irish Grandfather's sisters, Margaret Pollard aged 30 who married Michael Joseph Mc Nulty aged 20 in 1923 Dublin and the Groom and Witnesses signature were written in Irish/Gaelic.

Michael Mc Nulty's signature looks lik Mical Mac Dy Ubiaiz and Witnesses signaitures look like Sorpopan Pollapd and M. Mc Dy Ubiaiz!

Yesterday whilst looking through my other Irish certificates I found that Stephen Pollard, one of my Irish Grandfather's brothers actually signed his marriage certificate as Stiopan Ua Pollard. I have had this certificate for a few years now, sent to me by my Mum's cousin, and had never noticed that Stephen signed in Irish/Gaelic! On checking the Irish marriage Registrations on the familysearch pilot site, the Marriage Registration is listed as Stiopan Ua Pollard too!

I would never have ordered the certificate from Ireland as the name Stiopan Ua Pollard just wouldn't have registered with me!

Now I'm wondering who is Sorpopan Pollard? Could it be Stephen Pollard or somebody else?
    Last edited by kathsgirl.48; 09-04-10, 12:10. Reason: ommitted info
    teresa

Can't be Stephen, I don't think, as he writes his name 'Stiopán' which is the normal Irish way of spelling it. I don't see how he should have changed the spelling.

Are you sure it can't be anyone '-roran' seeing that Pollard was written 'Pollapd'. 'Roran' or Gaelic 'popan' would be the diminutive of 'ros' which is wood or large area of land. 'Roran' would mean 'shrubbery' or 'underwood'.

Comment

Originally posted by kiki1982 View Post
      Can't be Stephen, I don't think, as he writes his name 'Stiopán' which is the normal Irish way of spelling it. I don't see how he should have changed the spelling.

Are you sure it can't be anyone '-roran' seeing that Pollard was written 'Pollapd'. 'Roran' or Gaelic 'popan' would be the diminutive of 'ros' which is wood or large area of land. 'Roran' would mean 'shrubbery' or 'underwood'.
      Got no idea of who it could be if it's not Stephen Pollard then. Mind you, it might just be me not reading it correctly!

I will send you a copy if you like and see what you make of it!
      teresa

Comment

Yes do. I don't know any Gaelic but my husband is quite good at guessing what things could be. And he must know a little Gaelic, I'm sure (knows ten lnguages propely), so maybe we are able to help.

Comment

Originally posted by kiki1982 View Post
          Yes do. I don't know any Gaelic but my husband is quite good at guessing what things could be. And he must know a little Gaelic, I'm sure (knows ten lnguages propely), so maybe we are able to help.
          Thanks....Sent you a pm.
          teresa

Comment

Working...
          X