Mariner Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mariner Info

Looking for info on my gggg grandfather William Dederick b. abt 1786 in Bermondsey...was a mariner (rigger), died 1860 but in 1841/1851 census was living at Bromley/Poplar as a boarding house owner for mariners. Also noted as a lab on other certificates.
    And my ggg grandfather John Agnew Stewart b. 1819 Groomsport, Co. Down....was a mariner...
    he married Martha Dederick (daughter of above William) in Liverpool in 1841. John Agnew Stewart died 21 Aug 1853 in Demerare (Georgetown) Sth. America...of Yellow Fever. Have not been able to find death info to get certificate..but would love to know where they travelled.....(death info came from other informer...distant cousin).
    Also for information: oldest son of John Agnew Stewart was my gg grandfather John William Stewart b. 1843 was also a mariner of some sort....he came to AUS in 1879.
    I know is not a simple look-up..but a direction to someone who does this research would be appreciated.
    I am in AUS.
    Thanks
    K

We have a very full section on Maritime History in our Reference Library with lots of links and advice about where to look for records, which might be handy.

I have moved this to Research Qs and As where you are more likely to get answers, as this area is really for specific requests for lookups at specific archives.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

The page on Emigration and Immigration includes other links to Shipping and Passenger lists.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Caroline
        I have read the Maritime History but sorry still does not help, but I will sit down and have another look tomorrow....I did know a lot of what it had to tell....been searching a long time! Many thanks for moving my request....new at this.
        Ayse
        I will have a look at these sites, thanks....guess the next best thing is to get on a plane and come to England....pity no rels in London anymore.
        Many thanks to all
        K

Comment

Could this be the death for your 3x greatgrandfather (from freeBMD)

William Dederich
          1860 Jan-Feb-Mar
          District - Poplar
          Volume - 1c
          Page - 533 (click to see others on page
          Elaine

Comment

The burial register image is available on Ancestry - shows William's age to be 76, therefore born c1784
            Elaine

Comment

There is a tree on Ancestry for William Dederick born c1785 Bermondsey - not sure if it tells you any more than you already know.

Do you have a subscription to Ancestry - if so can you see the London, England, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812
              - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?...d=0%3a7858%3a0

These include the baptism register for St. Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey. You need to trawl through the images but you might find a baptism for William bc1785.
              You need to select Southwark as the borough, then St. Mary Magdalen, Bermondsey - and then 1782-1802.
              Elaine

Comment

There is a marriage on the Ancestry LMA records on 25th December 1840 of William Dederick, a rigger (of full age, widower) to Mary Ann Ross (full age, widow) at St Alphege, Greenwich. This gives William's father's details as John Dederick, rigger and Mary Ann's as Daniel McDonald, baker.

I don't know if you already have this info, but this is the link if you have access

Jackie

Comment

Wow. Good Morning...Elaine and Night Owl....you are wonderful....
                  Yes that is his death on free BMD.
                  No I don't have a subscription to Ancestry...looks like I really need one. The local council has purchased Ancestry recently and put it into their local libraries, I have been going to go look on their computers but something always comes up and I don't get there...have to book...school hols at the moment...so will go next week if I can't get through on the links you have given.
                  You know I had that he died at 76 and had not changed the b.abt. to 1784....had been given the 1786 some years ago.

Yes William did mary again (first wife Sarah Ponton- have to find more about her as well, she died 29 Dec 1837 in Pennyfields...had massive problems understanding her death reference but got her certificate in the end)....I never knew Mary Ann's correct surname...so it was Mary Ann Ross...I had her as Mary Ann Wilson or McDonald.....so the McDonald was right..that would have been her maiden name. I have tried to track her through census, believe she might have remarried after William died...she was with Williams youngest daughter Adelaide in the 1861 census.
                  Lovely to see confirmed Williams father as John Dederick and the correct spelling....and yet another mariner a rigger as well, gets better and better.
                  I will go and have a look at your recommended sites.
                  Thanks so much again
                  K

Comment

Originally posted by KQLD View Post

Yes William did mary again (first wife Sarah Ponton- have to find more about her as well, she died 29 Dec 1837 in Pennyfields...had massive problems understanding her death reference but got her certificate in the end)....I never knew Mary Ann's correct surname...so it was Mary Ann Ross...I had her as Mary Ann Wilson or McDonald.....so the McDonald was right..that would have been her maiden name. I have tried to track her through census, believe she might have remarried after William died...she was with Williams youngest daughter Adelaide in the 1861 census.
                    This looks like her remarriage (from freeBMD)
                    Mary Ann Dederick
                    1863 Jul-Aug-Sep
                    Stepney - vol 1c, page 961

The image from the marriage register is on the LMA records on Ancestry - it has been mistranscribed in the index as John Munos and Mary Ann Dedrick
                    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, sorry I have not got back, I was doing my Historical Soc. volunteer day (out there again today...people sick) and the computer out there would not let me into this site...I was not impressed....I will definately have to take up a subscription to Ancestry...but will go to the library next week and see what I can find as well.
                      Yes I do have another marriage for Mary Ann Dederick to a John Munro...found in free bmd some time ago.....I think John Munro was a family friend.
                      I will have to 'save up' for lots more certificates...thank goodness the A$ is good against the Pound.
                      thanks again

Comment

If you're thinking of taking out an Ancestry sub it may be worth taking out whatever package includes the LMA (London Metropolitan Archives) collection. I don't know what package that would be from Aus. and how much the difference in price would be but every marriage register that you see (like the 2 that Elaine and I have referred to) are the same as you would see if you ordered a marriage certificate. The new price for marriage certs is £9.25 so you would save that each time.

It obviously depends how many of your family came from London but might be worth thinking about. They are adding new LMA content gradually so it could be worth considering.
                        Jackie

Comment

Hello K - I'm in Qld too.......I agree with Jackie about the ancestry sub - if you purchase the UK one - which is what I have - I bought the middle package (Premium I think) to cover the LMA records - which I love having at my fingertips as most of the research I am doing is in the East End of London.
                          However, there is also 'ancestry Australia' as well and their package covers a few more of the Australian records, so depending on where your research is covering it might be worth looking at the two sites and comparing prices and what they each have on offer.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks NO and Val. that is very helpful...have a lot in East End but also Lancashire and Somerset and Yorkshire....I'm a bit of everything....also Buckinghamshire but do know most of what I want on that family....I need Australian stuff too but that is more recent. So I will go and have a good look.
                            Sorry I have not got back to you sooner...been doing my duty at the historical society again.Thanks for the price of marriage certs....I now have a loooong list of what I want as have had some great people find a couple of deaths in Lancashire which will hopefully lead me to others.
                            Many thanks again
                            K in QLD

Comment

Happy New Year to All
                              Just wanted to update above thread.....I do have all the info suggested and a wonderful cousin in England has found more
                              Dederick information....backwards into the 1700's and what we think are the parents of both William Dederick and his first wife
                              Sarah Ponton.....looks like might have another 2 generations back as well...so thanks to all.
                              I have taken up an Ancestry sub.....including America, has helped to find distant rels there. And Ancestry has shown the info
                              re above....Bermondsey and surrounding area.
                              I am coming to UK next March for a couple of months so am off to try to discover the maritime travels for William Dederick (my gggg grandfather), his son in law John Agnew Stewart (my ggg grandfather) and his son John William Stewart (my gg grandfather). This would be the hardest section for research here in AUS.
                              Anyway...have a wonderful holiday...time to do a little research......hope you are all staying warm and safe.

Comment

Great news K, and it will be good to visit some of the places you have discovered in your research.
                                Thanks for keeping us updated.

A Happy New Year to you too, we had some sun here today - such a refreshing change after all that rain.
                                Hope you are staying dry too.

Comment

Hiya K
                                  www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html has ....just put in Dederick - all events
                                  burial....ALL IN Liverpool
                                  James Dederick aged 30 on 10 August 1798....a Mariner ..abode Carpenters Row
                                  burial William Dederick aged 1 on 9th October 1798...son of John Dederick....a Mariner
                                  6 records in all.......most fathers / males are Mariner ???......
                                  so....James Dederick would have been born in 1768.....could he have been a brother of your William Dederick...and...was Martha born in Liverpool ?...or did she just marry there....maybe she went to live with her Uncle ?...
                                  was John Dederick also Williams brother ?.....I will look on IGI to see if I can find a babtism of James and John...there is also a Nicholas Dederick around the same time (1790`s ) in Liverpool.....he is a labourer , not a Mariner
                                  allan
                                  ADDED...no sign of James /John /Nicholas Dederick on Familysearch.....allan
                                  Last edited by garstonite; 30-12-10, 11:32.
                                  Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                                  oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                                  adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                                  merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                                  coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Martha Jane Dederick christened 12th May 1820 at St Dunstan,Stepney,London
                                    born 13th April 1820
                                    father William Dederick.....mother Sarah

1808 marriage in St Nicholas church ,Liverpool of William Dederick to Margaret McGovern...

could we possibly have 2 Martha Dederick here ???.....not trying to confuse things but we definitely have 2 William Dederick...are you sure the 1841 marriage in Liverpool of Martha Jane Dederick is the daughter of William and Sarah born London ....and not the daughter of William and Margaret from Liverpool ???.....allan
                                    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                                    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                                    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                                    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                                    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Hello All
                                      I should be organising lunch....sister in law coming over...but instead I'm checking my emails~
                                      Thanks for all the checking...did not expect it.
                                      Very interesting about Dedericks in Liverpool. They could be related to my William...he was a mariner as was his father John.
                                      First.....I think I have found another Martha at some time which did confuse me.
                                      Until I found my Martha Jane in the 1841 census, she was living with her sister Caroline Gilham, in Liverpool at that time...just around the time she married John Agnew Stewart (mariner) in Liverpool[26 Aug 1841]. I have always wondered what she was doing there, maybe helping sister with her children (one being born 1839 in Liverpool).
                                      I also wonder how did she meet John Agnew Stewart....was he a mariner with her father...same ship at some time because William in 1841 census was 55yrs and living in Poplar !!!! Or did she meet him on a ship sailing from Poplar to Liverpool - I guess we will never know.
                                      But this is why I want to find out more about the ships both William and JA were on.
                                      I must go....get the salad made, I will have another look later.
                                      Regards to you all
                                      K

Comment

Working...
                                      X