1861 - who (and where) was he?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 - who (and where) was he?

My x2 gt.grandfather was John Anderson b. Sherburn Hill, Durham 1839.
    He was the illegitimate son of Catherine Anderson b. Scotland 1818

Catherine Anderson m. Robert Luke b.1808 in 1840.

John Anderson m. Mary Moore b.1843 in 1862.

Yesterday, while checking the 1871 census for Mary Moore's parents, I discovered that a Mary Jane Luke b.1863 was with them and described as "granddaughter" - RG10/4930/43/24.

My first thought was that one of Mary Moore's sisters had married one of John Anderson's half brothers so I thought I would do an 1881 search for Mary Jane Luke and see if she was living at home.

I found her in RG11/4918/26/45.
    She was living with John and Mary Luke and 4 of her siblings in Eldon, Durham.

I suddenly realised when I looked at the names, ages and places of birth of the people on the census that I was looking at John Anderson and his family. In 1881 John had chosen to use his stepfather's name.

I have John in the 1871 census as Anderson - RG10/4928/30/57
    Likewise as Anderson in 1891 - RG12/4070/19/36
    I also have his baptism and his marriage certificate. He married as an Anderson

I was never able to find him in the 1861 or 1881 returns. I now know why as far as the 1881 census was concerned. Because I had all his other information it had never bothered me that he was missing in these 2 censuses.

However I'm now really curious as to his whereabouts in 1861.I have searched Anderson and I've searched Luke and got nowhere.

Can anyone please help me to find him so I can discover just who he was in 1861

All census details copyright the National Archives

I wonder if the enumerator misheard!
    What about John Henderson born 1839 Sharburn Hill - occ coal miner

RG9; Piece: 3758; Folio: 80; Page: 26

Wife is shown as Hannah- this could be the marriage
    Marriages Jun 1861
    Anderson John
    Forster Hannah Maria
    Chester le S 10a 534
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by notanotherminer View Post
      I also have his baptism and his marriage certificate. He married as an Anderson

[/I]
      What is the date of the marriage certificate you have?
      Elaine

Comment

He married 8 Feb 1862, Elaine.
        Ihave him right through to 1891 (apart from 1861) so I'm certain he only married the once - to Mary Moore

Comment

It must be quiet tonight Elaine - hardly any posts in last couple of hours.

Just a courtesy post to let you know that I've found on Ancestry what Findmypast failed to find.
          He was living with his mother and stepfather at Coxhoe along with his 7 half siblings. He was listed as John Luke.
          I can understyand why he was called Luke in that particular census - it was everyone else's name. I'm puzzled that he used the name in 1881 when he called himself Anderson in '71 and '91.

He was living in Eldon in 1881 which was my grandmother's birthplace. In the 1920's it was still a relatively small village where people tended to know one another. My theory is that he was known to be Catherine Luke's son so rather than draw attention to his illegitimacy he found it easier to use Luke.

Anyway whatever his motives the problem of finding him is now solved

Comment

Working...
          X