Newcastle-upon-Tyne 1925

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newcastle-upon-Tyne 1925

I am trying to trace my Uncle who was born about 1925 in Newcastle. I am told that my grandmother 'bought' him after seeing an advert in the local paper and named him John William Inches, he was only a few weeks/months old when she 'bought' him. The only record of him that I can find is on the CWGC. WW11 site that lists him as being killed on the 19/02/1944 and is buried in the Cassino War Cemetery, Italy. I don't know if he was ever legally adopted.
    Any help much appreciated.
    FRANK

Frank

If this story is true then it will be virtually impossible to trace him, I am sorry to say.

Legal adoption did not come into play until 1927. You could, I suppose, check the adoption register in the name of Inches to see if he WAS legally adopted, but even if he was, this will tell you nothing of his origins, which is presumably what you want to know.

The adoption register INDEX is not online.

OC

Comment

Thank you OC for your help, I didn't hold out much hope, other than going up to Newcastle and searching through the local newspapers of that time, but even that would only give me an approximate date for his birth.
      FRANK

Comment

Hi - this might be useful http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf...eslocalstudies

Comment

if he was christened you should be able to get his cert maybe your grandmother had one

Comment

Thanks Naomiatt & Alfred for your help, unfortunately my Grandmother died in 1973, and all her belongings were just thrown away.
            But thanks again for everyones help, and I will keep looking untill I get it sorted.
            FRANK

Comment

Do you have any addresses for your gm from when she married until she passed away?
              You can sometimes find further info that way...Do you know where he went to school?
              Where he worked?
              INCHES, JOHN WILLIAM
              Initials: J W
              Nationality: United Kingdom
              Regiment/Service: Royal Sussex Regiment
              Unit Text: 1st Bn.
              Date of Death: 19/02/1944
              Service No: 14407273
              Additional information: Son of **** ******* and Amy Inches, of West Ham. Essex.
              Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
              Grave/Memorial Reference: XVIII. G. 4.
              Not sure if your gf is still alive?
              Have you looked in to this regiment? I believe you can apply for his WW11 records, but stand corrected!
              Army Personnel Centre
              HQ Secretariat
              Historical Disclosures
              Mail Point 400
              Kentigern House
              65 Brown Street
              Glasgow
              G2 8EX
              Tel: 0845 600 9663
              Last edited by naomiatt; 12-04-10, 05:13.

Comment

I think you need to be the closest living relative, or have a letter from that person with permission - can't quite remember how it works.

Comment

To be able to obtain Second World War records you need to complete a form, prove you are next of kin, and send £30 with completed form. If there is "delicate material" contained within the record, the MOD retains the right to withhold any information it does not wish you to have.

Janet

Comment

Thanks all for your help but he spent so little time in the Army, he joined up when he was 18 and was killed on his first overseas mission at 19.
                    He paid us a visit just before he left for Italy, and was very proud of his uniform, that was the last that we ever saw of him.

Frank
                    FRANK

Comment

Hopefully a death cert would provide some further clues for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X