No announcement yet.

Please tell me what I am doing wrong ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please tell me what I am doing wrong ?

I have a census record on FMP which I am trying to find on Ancestry as its much easier to add to my tree on there, but I simply cannot find it ??
    Have put the reference in the search, taken it out, tried different family member names and still cannot find it
    What do I do wrong???

This is them on FMP I dont think its breaking any rules as I am not asking for a look up
    Francis Knight Head 1860
    Mary Knight Wife 1863
    Fredrick Knight Son 1883
    John Knight Son 1886
    Jane Knight Da 1891
    all born in and living in Shoreditch
    address given 123 Phillip Street Shoreditch
    RG12 251 171 18
    Thanks

Try Wright as a surname Val.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

oh thanks so much Wendy why oh why are both site different so many times ? they have spelt Fredericks name even worse than fmp Fridrich ????????????????????ugh
      I even tried leaving the surname or the first names off though and still got nothing .

Comment

Val

I have just tried the census reference in Ancestry and the names you wanted appeared at the end of a list of 28.
        Are the problems you have because you put in the name as well as the reference number ? If they are miss transcribed Ancestry will probably not find a match.

I can find people on FMP quite often and then just enter the reference number in Ancestry and they are there.

Ken

Comment

hi Ken thanks for your reply I did try that and it said no matches ????????? I should have thought it might be spelt wrong ???

Comment

My husband said it could be that they use a scanner to scan the words and then a proof-reader who obviously hasn't got the thing in front of him so he can really scan. WRIGHT as a name is possible isn't it?

I think that could be it. When I pur my name PONMAN into google, it came up with a square in London. I thought, 'That can get interesting,' but sadly, it was Portman Square which was badly scanned and which the google scanner can obviously not distinguish.

It makes more sense now my husband came up with that and it explains the speed they manage to get things on Ancestry.

You are right though, some of the stuff is ridiculous...

Comment

Val

I do not understand why you get no matches , if you just enter the ref no. there are 28 hits for this page . and yours is amongst them.

Ken

Comment

I dont know either Ken?? thanks Kiwi I was thinking of offering my services in helping transcribing maybe I will at least I know more of the place names than some of the transcribers.

Comment

You can offer your services, but I don't think Ancestrry needs them. Rather FreeCEN-BMD-REG need them. They have them online and your can participate even if you are in another country. When my work on translating Kafka is done, I think I will join FreeREG for Middlesex or so.

Comment

Val
                    I think I have worked out what you are doing wrong.
                    Try This.
                    Click on Home
                    Click on 1891 Census
                    When search box appears scroll to the bottom of page
                    Click on 1891 England Census
                    Now enter Piece 251 Folio171 Page#18
                    And you should get the results you want

As you are using a laptop the bottom of the page is not in view until you scroll down.

Ken

Comment

well well that worked first time thanks a lot Ken I shall know what to do in future, but I still might have had trouble as its spelt Wright instead of Knight ???
                      lol

Comment

It might be wrongly transcribed but at least you can then see them on the page instead of getting no matches.

Ken

Comment

yes thanks very much for that Ken

Comment

I couldn't find a family in 1901 on ancestry but then got it on FMP. However even putting the actual reference on ancestry didn't produce a result.

I also have another family in the same place that I cannot find - so perhaps that area is missing from ancestry.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

JBee I often have that happen and usually its spelt wrong on Ancestry .

Comment

Val ancestry are asking for transcribers at the moment. I don't know if you get any sort of discount for doing it though. If you didn't I would rather do something else myself.
                                Kit

Comment

yes I did see that and was considering it but when I think of all the transcription errors I am submitting for nothing did wonder if it was worth it???
                                  They dont give a discount but think maybe they should ?

Comment

Working...
                                  X