50p Levy on Telephone Lines in the UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50p Levy on Telephone Lines in the UK

'My Talk Talk' account went up by 50p in December from £6.49 to £6.99 a month and I wondered why.

I did not think that it had become law that we were all going to have to pay this levy. I have tried asking Talk Talk by email but have got no where.

If we have to pay it like all other taxes OK but I would not like it collected if it is not Law at the present time. This is NOT a political issue just a general enquiry.

Thank you
    Margaret N
    DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Hi Margaret

It looks like it a Talk Talk price hike as the 50p tax has been scrapped.

Link to article on BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8606639.stm

Ken

Comment

They said on the news last night this was one of the taxes they didn't have enough time to discuss/vote on..so it hasn't happened....yet!
      Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Just a thought maybe BT have put their line rental up not that I can find a note about it from TT.
        Thank you for your replies/
        Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

If the 50p rise is definitley applied to usage till the end of December then it's a price hike. If it applies to after the New Year then it's likely the result of vat going back up again.

Comment

This is the reply that I had from Talktalk ~ "TalkTalk increases it's prices to remain competitive and continue to provide quality service to our customers"

I understand that I have a fixed price contract with them until June so how can they UP the price.
            Margaret N

Comment

Are there any other ISP who are as competiive as TT. I have my both my BT telephone line and broadband with them at a fair cost. Many things I do not like about them one is that they are always giving me 'cold calls' and another is that I have people at the door trying to sell me TT services. They do not seem to have any means of knowing that you are already a customer.

TT has again sent me an email from a different department today confirming that the 50p is to make broadband available to the nation in time. They treat it as if the 50p levy has gone a head but at the present time it has been cancelled. A little sharp practice I feel.
              Margaret N

Comment

Working...
              X