Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to give family a cd each of our tree how?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to give family a cd each of our tree how?

Computer Vista. Programes used My Heritage and Who to you think

Hello every one a first timer to this Forum, I want to give the family each a cd of our tree and Heritage won't let me do it so i got a w.d.y.t.y.a programe and as far as i can make out it won't either or am i missing something
    I should say that the family will not have F,Tree programes installed so Gedcom is a non start
    Are there any programes available that will help me to this at a reasonable cost?.

Also can any one tell me please i transferd tree to w.t.y.t.y.a but none of the birth dates did not show
    all i got is message do not regonize any way around this please as it will be along job entering all dates again
    Many thanks hope you can help ,Soulboy

Hi, Welcome to FTF!

I'm not familiar with the programs you use but here is what I would do (I use Family Historian but it doesn't really matter).
    To send a tree diagram to your relatives I would convert a copy into either a .pdf (read on programs like Adobe Acrobat) or else a .jpeg which could be read on any image viewing program.

If you want to print out a narrative description I think you will find you can copy it into Word or make a .pdf of that as well.

They won't have the flexibility of the actual program you have but its the easiest way for them to view all your stuff if they don't have a program.

Anne

Comment

First of all, welcome to Family Tree Forum.

The "Who Do You Think You Are" software is basically the same as Family Tree Maker.
      Do you know which version you have? If you are not sure then open the program, click on HELP and you should see an option entitled "About Who Do You Think You Are" (or something similar). Click on that and it should say which version you are using.

To share your tree with family you can do two things with this software.
      The first is prepare genealogy reports, either ancestor or descendant reports. These are in text format and can be saved so that they will open in a word processing document such as Word.
      The other thing you can do is to prepare charts - you should have various types available to you - and, depending on which version of the program you are using, you should be able to export these as pdf files. These are then opened using a program called Adobe Reader which is freely available to download from the internet.

If you need any help creating reports or charts then let me know and I'll give you some hints - but first I would need to know which version of software you are using.

Re the problem you have with dates. You said you have a problem when opening your file with WDYTYA - what sort of file are you trying to open and where did the file originate from?
      Elaine

Comment

Ladies thank you for your welcome w.d.y.t.y.r 2008
        the Dates problem i have, is on Heritage i show 6th April 2010 but w.d.y does not regonize this went in to help and changed to 6 etc but still no joy
        Can the pdf files be down loaded to cd as i would like each family member be the home person

Comment

Yes a .pdf file can be put onto a CD.

If you want to tailor each individually to make the recipient the home person you have to make one for each of them

The good (and sometimes bad!) thing about a .pdf file is that it cannot be changed so what they get is what you expect them to see and not what their computer changes it to. For example in MSWord, if they don't have the font you have used it will play havoc with your careful layout. With a .pdf they get exactly what you made for them.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by soulboy68 View Post
            Ladies thank you for your welcome w.d.y.t.y.r 2008
            the Dates problem i have, is on Heritage i show 6th April 2010 but w.d.y does not regonize this went in to help and changed to 6 etc but still no joy
            I haven't got any experience of using Heritage - is there an option on there where you can select the date format - so for example if you have entered the date as 6th April 2010, it will automatically change it to 6 April 2010.
            I know that Family Tree Maker/WDYTYA does not accept dates such as 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc.
            Elaine

Comment

Just to clarify - are you using My Heritage online - that is building your tree on the My Heritage website, or have you downloaded their Family Tree Builder software?

If all else fails you may have to go through your My Heritage tree and manually change the dates - how many people are in your tree?
              Elaine

Comment

Ladies hello ,i am using my heritage on line, i like the layout of the tree,the dates are all entered but w.d.y.t will not except these, it just shows blanks
                i have 325 persons/87 familys
                when i choose pdf in wdyt it will show only direct decs not the whole tree, also i want to show tree as a verticle not a pedigree chart
                any further ideas please

Comment

Sorry, I'm not familiar with your program.

About pdf, though .... you can 'print' anything to pdf if you have a pdf writer. Anything that you could print normally to paper can be 'printed' to a pdf writer. You don't have to buy an expensive one - there are a number of free ones around. I use PrimoPDF. If you download a free pdf writer you will not see it amongst your programs! It is a 'pretend' or virtual printer. You'll find it in your drop down printer options when you go to print something.

So - if I wanted to make a pdf copy of a MSWord document (for example) I would have the document on screen > select print > select PrimoPDF from the printer drop down menu > click print. After a moment the document appears (opened by Adobe) on the screen as a pdf. I can then save that PDF copy anywhere or even print it to paper.

Anne

Comment

Working...
                  X