Which death cert to send for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which death cert to send for?

Would appreciate advice/suggestions please. I have spent the last few days on research deciding which certs to send for before they went up. I sent for a few but of course this morning I have remembered one that I really want. The trouble is, I'm prepared to pay the increase but I really want to try and get the right one and there is a choice of 2.

It's the death of William Heaps.

In 1861 William Heaps (as Heafes) is a widower aged 56 living with the Quintons and some of his children in Ilkeston Derbyshire. In 1871 William Heaps age is given as sixty something (unreadable), he's a widower living with his daughter and her children & the man she is living with!! in Clay cross Derbyshire (which comes under Chesterfield). In 1881 I can't find him but his daughter and the children from 1871 are in the workhouse (he isn't) but could just be hiding in the census.

I have 2 choices - A death in March 1874 which is in the right area (Chesterfield) but age 75 and should be more like 69. Or a death March 1885 aged 81 in Shardlow. This one is the right age and Shardlow does cover the area where his wife died in 1855, but why is he there?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Find My Past has 2 William Heaps living in Derbyshire in 1871; one aged 65 head of household in Kegworth, Shardlow district, with wife Jane, and the other aged 51 in Alfreton, Belper district living with son Abraham, as well as your William, (transcribed as Heapes aged 60) living in Clay Cross. I would say the death in 1885 was probably William husband of Jane. The Chesterfield death in 1874 is wrong age and wrong district for the one from Alfreton so by elimination would guess it is yours. His daughter, or workhouse officials if he died there and they reported his death, may well not have known his actual age.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thank you Judith - you may well have just saved me £9.25 in error I never thought to check for other William Heaps. I suppose someone may have got his age badly wrong.

Comment

Hi Chrissie
        The William who died in 1874 age 75 is buried at Heage St Luke, same place as his wife so I think that is the right one.
        Moggie

Comment

LOL Moggie - I have just replied to your PM with a similar observation :D:D
          Thanks again

p.s. Death cert sent for, so another thanks to Judith as well

Comment

Working...
          X