Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scott of the Antarctic.. a relative or not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott of the Antarctic.. a relative or not.

Hi everyone.

A friend used to visit his grandma in Maldon, Essex in the 50s and she had a picture of Robert Falcon Scott in her bedroom.

Granny appeared to think there was some family connection, other than just the name.

Her grandfather was William Scott who ran the Queen Victoria in Spital Road, Maldon.

It would be fun to find a link if there is one.

Thank you

Best wishes

Orbit ;)

FEGAN, LOUGHLIN Co Down, IOM; SWEENEY, CLAYTON Co Cork; LILLYWHITE Sussex, Hampshire; BEARMAN, ENNEW Essex, Kent; STAPLETON, BRAYBROOKS Beds; ELDRIDGE, ALDRIDGE, HALLUM, London; IVENS, GODSON, HAMMOND, HORE Bucks; GIBB, HANSTEY, MARSHALL Northumberland;
    GENEALOGY IS A SUCCESSFUL FAMILY BUSINESS

Hi - not sure if this person would have more info http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bi...les::6964.html
    1895 Essex--owners of public houses .
    Can your friend provide any more names etc.

Comment

According to Wikipedia -

Robert Falcon Scott was born in Plymouth on 6th June 1868, the son of John Edward Scott of Stoke Damerel, near Devonport, and his wife Hannah Cuming. John owned a brewery which was inherited from his father Robert.

Comment

Orbit, I do think that you need to build up a tree of both families to make the connection. Perhaps then you could provide what info you know about your Scott family

Comment

Back in the 1950's I seem to remember a film about Scott's last expedition which bounced Scott back into the public eye. As a Plymouth person myself there was always admiration for him because he was from Plymouth as Velma has pointed out. The only thing I can add to the Plymouth experience is that he lived at a place called "Outlands" in Plymouth. It may just be that a photograph of him was there simply because he was admired by the family and happened to have the same name and admiration as we all had. I remember I had a picture of him for a long time though I do not have the name Scott.

To be quite honest if you have a family connection this will be very easy to track down through all the necessary BMD you will have to purchase starting with yourself and parents' marriage and so on until you get back to Robert's birth and his siblings. A good start might be to consider whether or not there is a possible Plymouth or at least a Devon connection anywhere in the family of your own interest. If you are unable to make that connection then it might be difficult to make a connection at all.

1851 census shows that John's father was Robert bap 1784 Chudleigh Devon and was in the RN. Ann his wife was bap 1794 London so just going back on all the census would give you enough information to see if there is any possible connection.

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 06-04-10, 10:44.

Comment

Orbit

Are you connected to the orginator of this thread?

It has some information in that you might be interested in.

Comment

Your friend's grandma's family would be the place to start and work back to see if there's a connection, but Scott is a fairly common surname and I imagine that many households (and pubs) would have photos of a national hero like Robert Falcon Scott, especially if the name was the same.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

1911 census shows William Scott aged 51, inn Keeper at 86 Spital Road, Maldon was born in Maldon. In 1871 he appears in Maldon, aged 11 with parents George Scott, 42, born Great Totham (about 5 miles up the road from Maldon) and Hannah, born Fairstead, Essex so no Devon link in immediate family.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks everybody.

In fairness I don't think there is a connection except the name. I have to agree with you Nell about National Heroes.

I've spent the day pushing "my" Scotts back, and they are rock solid Essex. Can't find George's birth, but in 1841 he's in the Workhouse, poor lad.

Best wishes

Orbit

FEGAN, LOUGHLIN Co Down, IOM; SWEENEY, CLAYTON Co Cork; LILLYWHITE Sussex, Hampshire; BEARMAN, ENNEW Essex, Kent; STAPLETON, BRAYBROOKS Beds; ELDRIDGE, ALDRIDGE, HALLUM, London; IVENS, GODSON, HAMMOND, HORE Bucks; GIBB, HANSTEY, MARSHALL Northumberland;

Comment

Hi
                    Well, I've got something in common. My grandmother actually said that she/we were related to RF Scott and that was what got me started on the family tree. I've not been able to make a connection as yet but my great-great grandfather Captain Arthur Henry Scott has proved very elusive. However, a friend of mine is building a RF Scott tree on Ancestry – PM me if you would like to be put in touch.

I have all the information I have on my Scott on my pages (see my sig or PM me for the address) if these are of any use. But my Scott lived in Devon, Crediton/Sandford area, after possibly serving in the Boer Wars, and his 1911 census says he was born in Croydon… it’s all very mysterious, but checking my friend’s tree on Ancestry might be useful. (I think he has to invite you to view it.)

It’s the 100 year anniversary of Scott’s death in 2012, so it would be really good to prove or disprove a connection by then!
                    All the best
                    J
                    Am I related to Scott of the Antarctic? The hunt is on.
                    http://www.symidream.com/scott/home.html
                    My pages for families from Collin and Whittaker of Harlow to Cozens of Dorset to Soper of Cornwall and beyond…

Comment

Thanks James

Best wishes

Orbit

Comment

Working...
                      X