Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you remember helping me in the competition we used to have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you remember helping me in the competition we used to have?

Some of you may remember my thread when I won the monthly competition for help called:

All information is in there so I dont have to repeat myself.

I have since found in the 1911 census that Lilian Teer is now called Elizabeth Ann.

As mentioned before, My FIL ( now deceased ) mentioned in his notes that she was ? Elizabeth Schofield Taylor. I assumed Lilian from the census's. ( What is the plural of census??).

1891 William Teer with Lilian as wife.
    1901 William Teer with Lilian as wife
    1911 William Teer with Elizabeth Ann as wife ( he filled out form ). Note, no Ethel.
    1911 Ethel Teer found as niece with a Christopher Green and wife Mary Eleanor. Further research finds mary Eleanor was nee taylor. So Ethel, is Mary's neice.

Research on Mary Eleanor Taylor brings up:
    1871 census RG10, 4018 mary E Taylor with Elizabeth A S Taylor ( parents James and Mary J ).
    1881 census RG11, 4001 mary E Taylor with Elizabeth A ( parents James and Mary J)
    1891 census RG12, 3311 family, no Mary E, no Elizabeth A, and no Mother Mary J, probably cause Mother deceased, Mary E, married to Christopher, Elizabeth A S (Lillian) married to William Teer/Teare.

Interesting too is that on 1911 census for Mary Eleanor, there is a Frank Taylor, whom I am assuming is Mary Eleanor's son ( as it says he is Christopher Green's stepson + wife and daughter).

So, questions are:
    1. Is Lillian short for Elizabeth and why would she call herself Lillian when her name was Elizabeth Ann considering she came from "UpSteps"? ( refer original thread.)
    2. have I got the right family?
    3. Why cant I find marriage cert for Lillian ( Eliz. Ann ) and William?

extra note: FIL says, that William although a Joiner/ carpenter spent most of his time going to and from Scotland selling making a profit on currency as Scottish pounds could be bought in Manchester for 19/6d and exchanged in Glasgow at face value. Could they perhaps have married at Gretna Green??

BTW, am waiting on death cert of an Elizabeth Ann Teer, who is buried with William at Southern Cemetery, Manchester, with daughter Ethel and Funnily enough son in law Leonard Smith?? Why would the son in law be buried there ( he is Dorothy Lillian's Husband, not Ethel's.) Have no Idea where she is interred.

Hope its Ok to do followups on this competition.....if not please tell me off!!;D

Hope you all had a great Easter,
    In anticipation,
    Jackie
    Last edited by Caroline; 06-04-10, 07:17. Reason: Removed 1911 images.
    Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

There is no problem with follow ups, but I have had to remove the attachments, as posting them is against the Ts and Cs of the findpmpast website.
    Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I haven't read through your old post yet, but off the top of my head, I can see Lilian being a pet name for Elizabeth Ann - Lillibeth is a nick name for Elizabeth and this could have been shortened to Lili and the Ann added. Maybe the enumerator when filling in the census in 1891 and 1901 put Lilian down as the name as that was what she was known by and didn't realise it was not her official name.

Linda
      Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
      X