Swedish Births deaths and marriages?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swedish Births deaths and marriages?

My GGGrandfather was born in Sweden. How does one search for these records? ( Geez just realised what a mix I am....swedish, Scottish, Irish, Australian, and Bohemian......and I was born in New Zealand!!LOL )

Jackie
    Be nice to your kids...they have to choose your nursing home!

Hi Jackie - there might be some info in Wiki...also in here - http://www.cyndislist.com/sweden.htm

Comment

Have a look here http://www.familytreeforum.com/content.php/462-Sweden
      Jess

Comment

As well as specific country pages, we have links like Cyndi's list which cover all countries, gathered together on the Resources Worldwide page in the World Index in the Reference Library. It is well worth looking here as they may not necessarily also appear on the specific country pages.

Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi again - did your gggf also come to Australia? Do you have his name?

Comment

Hi Everyone, Thanks for your answers. I will certainly check them out.

Comment

Originally posted by naomiatt View Post
              Hi again - did your gggf also come to Australia? Do you have his name?
              Hi Naomiatt,
              Yes he did. His name is Alexander Thompson and I assume He came here with his parents Edmund and Elizabeth. Alexander was born abt 1842 in Oland Sweden and died in 1915 in Ballarat, Victoria. That's pretty much all I know, but the line down to me is pretty much covered.
              jackie

Comment

how fascinating...on www.familysearch.org just put in alexander thompson all events sweden.........alexander thompsons back to 1614.....that was a shock....thought it was an English name....lol...happy hunting and good luck .allan
                Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

The name is not necessarily English.

'Thomas', as a first name, is used in Scandinavia too. Being a Swedish family, all people (up to the 20ieth century before the introduction of 'family names'), who are called THOM(A)SEN would have been named after their fathers for a boy ('son of Thomas'). The equivalent for a girl would have been 'THOMASDOTTIR' ('daughter of Thomas').

So they worked with patronymics. Be careful, because it means that all 'Thom(a)sons' are not of the same family but rather that they all have a father called Thomas. Secondly, most people over there used to live on farms. As the farm was such a fixed thing in a community, people would have, in addition to their patronymic, also maybe the name of the farm they were born on as a 'last name'. So for example Petter Thomason Lokvig. Bor on a farm called Lokvig out of a father called Thomas.

Now it comes: if such a family went to another country and they were asked for their names, father would naturally have another name than son (patronymic) (unlss father was called after his own father, which rarely hapend as later explained), so some chose to take their family farm as their collective name (a whole family Lokvig would come into existance as in the example above), but some decided to take one of the patronymics as a collective family name, so one could be named differently in his home-country if he was born there. If father was Pettr Thomason and he called hs son Thoams Petterson, then they could have chosen to take either Thomason or Petterson as their collective family name (including for the girls!), whoch would mean that either father or son would have to be looked for in Sweden with another name. In addition to this, some names were strangely spelled (mainly by Americans though) in their new cuntry: for example Haakon (a common Norwegian name, like their crown prince now) would become Haakonson in patronymic version for a son, but would have been changed by the American clerk according to the pronunciation to 'Hawkinson' as the 'Haa' is pronounced as 'haw' in Norwegian/Swedish.

Searching for patronymics is tricky as one does not know the first name. But as a hint, most families named their first son after the grandfather of father's side, second son after the grandfather on mother's side, first daughter after the grandmother father's side, second daughter after the grandmother mother's side, and I believe then came the respective brothers and sisters of father and mother. So a man called Petter Thomason would have had a father Thomas and his son would have been called Thomas Petterson. If the grandfather was called Thomas Petterson as well (very likely, otherwise he wouldn't have called his son Petter), it is clear how the grandfather would have been called, and so on. A littke bit trickier it becomes for children beyond nr three...

On top of this, parishes were very important and for a long time were a kind of administration board for families moving in and out of the district, children being born, people dying, marriages, but also profession, age, even colour of eyes and what not were noted down, sales of houses etc. More than what was written down in England or any other place. Because it was so easily manageable obviously (the population was tiny).

Several (Scandinavian) sites agree on Familysearch having the largest collection of Scandinavian records available. So,goo luck with it, but keep your eyes open, because otherwise you're going the wrong way.

Comment

Oh dear.....nowI really am confused. Basically you are saying I haven't a hope in ****! I think I'll start on the elusive Irish side...that should be easier! LOL! Thanks Kiki. I've printed this off and put it in my file. I think I am going to have to be very brave to tackle this lot.
                    Jackie

Comment

It doesn't sound as bad as it looks. As the population was reasonably small as there was not really a lot of large-scale agriculture like there was for example in England, or a lot of industry, the patronymic-thing was still manageable. Don't forget that, also, Norway was for a long time a part of Sweden, in one kingdom.

Comment

Kiki, Oh now that I didn't know. Fascinating.
                        Jackie

Comment

Hi Jacqueline, here's another link you may find useful: Swedish naming practices in earlier times, surnames

"...Patronymic surnames were in constant use in rural Sweden and among day laborers in urban centers until the 1860's. At that time it became popular among these groups to adopt a family surname carried from one generation to the next. A lot of families then adopted a name connected to their home village or a name connected to nature. However, the majority just "froze" their patronymic surname as their family name. Since Anders was a popular first name we have a lot of Andersson families in Sweden...

...When a man and a woman got married the woman never adopted her husband’s patronymic name - a name ending with "son". A woman could never be someone's son.
                          If they both had a family name, the woman still kept her family name. If the husband had a family name and the woman a patronymic name she might change her last name to her husbands family name. But it was not very likely to occur before the 1800's.
                          It did not become a custom for a woman to adopt her husband's surname until the end of the 1800’s, when most families had adopted family names."
                          Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
                            Hi Jacqueline, here's another link you may find useful: Swedish naming practices in earlier times, surnames
                            Thank you for this link Sarah, I have added it to the Naming Patterns page in the Reference Library.
                            Caroline
                            Caroline's Family History Pages
                            Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Hi Cloggie,
                              cripes...that makes it even harder...how do you figure the woman's maiden name....LOL!

Comment

I would have thought it would make it easier. It does for Dutch records anyway - as women were always registered by their maiden name, it makes it easier to know if you're tracing the right person (instead of wondering which married Mary is yours for example, in things like death records, municipal population register, etc.).
                                Sarah

Comment

Mmmm. That makes sense then.

Comment

Working...
                                  X