John Darling Runciman WW1 Service Record help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Darling Runciman WW1 Service Record help

Hi I have had a great amount of help from this forum and are now looking to find a final military ancestor (this time on my wife's side) who died in WW1. When I had the free trial with Ancestry tried my hardest but couldn't find it. I am now thinking it may have been one of the records destroyed but wondered if anyone can help.

Full name John Darling Runciman born 10/11/1887 in Linthaugh near Jedburgh in the Scottish Borders. His parents names were William and Isabella and his wife was Mary Brown Runciman. His date of death was 9/4/1917 and he served as a Private in the 2nd Battalion Royal Scots. His service number was 31380.

Any help as always would be greatly appreciated.

Steven

It looks as though you're right about the service records. His medal record card is on there but that has very little (it doesn't even state that he had died). He was awarded the British and Victory medals

There is also an extract from "Soldiers Died in the Great War" which has a little more info. Says he was born in Ednam, Roxburgh, resided and enlisted in Jedburgh. He was in the Lothian Regiment of the Royal Scots and died of wounds.

If you want any more details you may be better posting on the Great War Forum. The members there can often give a lot about the regiment and what battles were going on at particular times
    Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie I am also a member on that site but have always found Family Tree Forum to be most helpful when trying to locate Service Records. I agree the next step would probably be a posting on that site to find out more on the offensives etc that he may have been involved in when he died.

I think I was very lucky to find 3 of my ancestors WW1 service records.

Regards

Steven

Comment

Originally posted by stevie2006 View Post
        I think I was very lucky to find 3 of my ancestors WW1 service records.
        I've not found any of my direct line ones :(
        Jackie

Comment

Take a look at his entry on the CWGC site and relate his grave/plot number to the the text describing the history of the plots within the cemetery. That should give you at least some of the background you require.

Comment

Steven, have you seen this site? There is a David Darling Runciman listed on here, I should think he is one of your ancestors. Cemetery: www.memento-mori.co.uk/38.pdf
            Teresa...

Comment

Thanks Highland Ranger and thanks Teresa will check these out. The David Darling Runciman must be related somehow as I can't see there being 2 Darling Runciman's and not related.

Regards

Steven

Comment

Working...
              X