George III jubilee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George III jubilee

George III golden Jubilee was 1809- 1810. To commemorate this the town of Nuneham Courtenay named all boys Jubilee George and all girls Jubilee Charlotte for that year. Does anyone know of any other towns that did the same.

I therefore have 2 Jubilee Georges and 1 Jubilee Charlotte in my tree.

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

They named them ALL George or Charlotte???? How confusing for the population of the village! How many were born during that year? I wonder how many of them kept the name?

Anne

Comment

I have a Jubilee Albert So presuming as I never checked it was one of Victorias milestones :D

Comment

Yes Anne, all of them - I was looking at the PRs for Nuneham the other day. It's only a small village - there were only 12 children born in the year I think, 8 Georges and 4 Charlottes. Nevertheless quite confusing I would say :D

Linda
        Linda

Comment

Ah! I didn't realise how small the place was. I was imagining a couple of hundred Georges!!!!

Anne

Comment

That would have been horrendous - can you imagine in school! I haven't heard of any other village that did this though, I was wondering if it was a unique event. We went to look round the churchyards in Nuneham today, and in the old church there was a plaque saying that George III had come there for a service of thanksgiving after an assassination attempt by some woman.

Linda
            Linda

Comment

Working...
            X