Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• william hill & Family

Hiya

Just joined the forum, was so pleased to find it as am really stuck! It would be great if anyone could shed any light on what might have gone on . . .

My Great great grandad was born in Buckinghamshire 1935 and is William Hill. I have him going backward from 1901 to 1891 and he has his wife and family with him. He and his family then drop off the map!

In 1891 he appears (as a police sargeant) age 46 with his wife annie (37) she was born in Litchfield. They also have 3 kids then, they have william who is just 4, Louisa who is 12 and Mary who is 11. All born around the staffordshire area. I expected to find them in 1791 with the two young girls at ages 2 and 1 but cant find any of them! have looked for them separately and together. Have considered if maybe these two girls were from a previous marriage?

I think he was in the armed forces which might explain his dissapearance for a couple of census's but where is he as a lad? can find no trace of him being born in "granborough" Bucks. Unsure of his wifes maiden name so will have to dig out and purchase a copy of the marriage cert but anyone got any advice or can think of anything that i could have missed?

Thank you in advance

Amanda

Welcome to Family Tree Forum.

You say you have found him in 1891, aged 46, for three children aged 4, 11 and 12. Just in case anyone else is looking I think you mean the 1881 census?

Just off to see if I can find anything for you.
    Elaine

Comment

1871 census - mistranscribed as William Hitt

RG10; Piece: 2987; Folio: 78; Page: 29
      Elaine

Comment

Not having much luck finding him pre 1871 - I think you are going to need the marriage certificate.
        Only problem is I cannot see a suitable marriage so you might need to get one of the children's birth certificates in order to find MMN.
        Elaine

Comment

Yes you are right - sorry!!! :-)

Comment

Yes i thought as much - cant believe it - traced my others with more luck than this! didnt expect to hit problems so early on this one! Will see if i can get Louisa (eldest) and william (youngest) birth certs - maybe it will show different mother? Thanks for looking for me - at least now i know its not me being dozy - thank you :-)

Comment

I think this might be the registration for Louisa - her place of birth given on 1871 census is Pelsall which comes under the Walsall registration district.

Louisa Hill
              1868 Oct-Nov-Dec
              Walsall
              Volume - 6b
              Page - 565

This would fit in with her christening (on the IGI) on 20 DEC 1868 - Pelsall, Staffordeshire

Best get your order in quick - prices for certificate go up tomorrow!
              Elaine

Comment

Granborough isn't very far from Winslow, Bucks
                Jess

Comment

thank you

Hiya - yes i thought that would be her - well i've ordered the cert (not from ancestry.co.uk though - arent they expensive!) ordered direct from gro.gov.uk) so we'll see what it says about father and mother - thanks for all your help :-)

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  I think this might be the registration for Louisa - her place of birth given on 1871 census is Pelsall which comes under the Walsall registration district.

Louisa Hill
                  1868 Oct-Nov-Dec
                  Walsall
                  Volume - 6b
                  Page - 565

This would fit in with her christening (on the IGI) on 20 DEC 1868 - Pelsall, Staffordeshire

Best get your order in quick - prices for certificate go up tomorrow!

Comment

yes - thanks Jess, managed to find old map of Bucks :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X