Ancestry London Death/Burial Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry London Death/Burial Records

Could I please ask If someone could search for the death records.

Margaret Mary French born 1820, died Holborn London from 1861 -71

William French born 1812, died Holborn London from 1871 - 81
    Sorry, can only go by the census returns for the dates.

I'm not sure if the pay-per-view covers the London records.

Steve.
    Steve.
    Researching;Fitzjohn:Crouch:Parker:Howlett ;)

There's this

Margaret French aged 48 abt 1821
    5 Jun 1869 All Souls Cemetery, Kensal Green Kensington and Chelsea

but I don't think she is yours as the address given is Twickenham House, Twickenham.

Nothing for William.

Lots of people who died in inner London were buried in cemeteries quite some way away as churchyards were full.
    Last edited by Little Nell; 04-04-10, 21:41.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell, Thanks you for your quick reply, I'm not sure but I think they were buried at Camden from the Holborn surrounding area.

Thanks.

Steve.
      Steve.
      Researching;Fitzjohn:Crouch:Parker:Howlett ;)

Comment

By 1861 most of the inner London cemeteries and burial grounds had been closed to new burials. So they could have been buried much further out. Highgate or Kensal Green or Abney Park (Stoke Newington) are possibilities. The burial grounds around Somers Town/Kentish Town were all deconsecrated and dug up for the building of the Midland Railway.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I have found some Highgate burials in the London collection on Ancestry. I don't think Abney Park Cemetery will be there though as it was non-conformist.

Comment

I have discovered the burial of two young relations one month a part in 1847 in Highgate (10 Nov 1847 aged 15 months and 10 days, 18 Dec 1847 aged 4yr and 10 months). What I hadn't realised until I looked at the cemetery website is that some parts are of the cemetery are not open to the public and only available by guided tour. I've written to them for the location of graves - given that they died in Russell Square and the family were fairly well to do I'm hopeful that orignally there would've been gravestones so if that is the case I may well book a visit.

Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

There's some useful information here about Victorian London cemeteries

Abney Park has a searchable database of graves

Abney Park Cemetery, located in Stoke Newington, opened in 1840
              Jackie

Comment

It's worth keeping an eye one this site deceasedonline.com/ There is already some London ones here including Camden. Free to search but you do have to pay to see the entry

Comment

Bo

I was very lucky and went on a tour of the closed bit of Highgate Cemetery some years ago with my Mum and a social group she belongs to. The secretary of the Friends of Highgate Cemetery was very protective about it and rather forbidding. Luckily our guide was a very friendly chap and it was fascinating.

Comment

Working...
                  X