Can anybody find this family in 1881

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anybody find this family in 1881

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

here they are in 1871 James the Father dies in 1875

None of the children married before the 1881 census and Susan did not remarry
    thanks
    I will be going out soon but back later for any replies

you are clever Elaine , but who on earth is Samuel it certainly looks like that and it does say widower ? I checked it on fmp too
    Thanks again have to go out but shall be looking for a Samuel G Knight when I come back .

Comment

ooh just noticed that Francis is a Boy mines a Frances a Girl ?????????

Comment

I reckon that the enumerator had got his twickers in a knist! ;)

In scrunched-up script (which the 1881 hand is), James and Samuel actually look very similar. I think the enumerator has misread his own writing when transcribing from his detailed household sheets to the summary. After all, the censuses weren't really intended to be so very accurate for genealogy purposes - they were headcounts and population data. I suspect that he got mixed up with the children, too. You can see that he started off with (junior) James's age in the female column, and then moved it into the male column; he could easily have mixed up Frances/Francis, exspecially given my initial theory about James/Samuel.

And, yes, the Head appears to be a widower.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

hi Christine but James was dead he died in 1875 ???

Comment

That does make for a not very satisfactory match!

It was definitely your James who died in 1881? Did he have a brother, Samuel, who's being called father to all the children, because he's the Head perhaps when he'd really be Uncle?

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

the trouble with these Knights is they all seemed to name their kids the same ? I am going round in circles today trying to find much about them?
              Dont worry Christine think I'll go on another branch of the family for a change as I now have brain ache thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X