Stokes - help with 1851 and 1861 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stokes - help with 1851 and 1861 census

Hi I cannot seem to find the Stokes family in 1851. In 1841 the father Samuel and wife Sarah are living in Brentford with a James and Susan Nixon (Sarah's parents). I know Samuel was a Waterman/Lighterman and that is his occupation.

In 1851 Samuel and Sarah have two surviving children Ambrose (born 1845) and Susan/Susannah (born 1949). Samuel was born around 1812 in Brentford and Sarah was born around 1813. I tried Brentford as they always appear to be in or around this area and other areas but cannot locate them.

In 1861 I have located Ambrose aged 15 aboard HMS Icarus as a boat boy in Portsmouth but again cannot find any other Stokes. Sarah the mother died in 1959 but Samuel did not die until 1869. Susan/Susannah would have been aged around 12ish.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Steven

Hi Stevie,
    Had a look but can't even see a section of the census for 1851 that covers Brentford.
    I did find George Stokes who is living next door to your family in 1841 and who I guess is a brother to Samuel here at HO107; Piece: 1577; Folio: 228; Page: 7 and here he is in 1861 RG9; Piece: 371; Folio: 162; Page: 31.
    Not what you're looking for I know!
    Margaret
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 04-04-10, 12:47.

Comment

Ah Ah! it's called New Brentford in 1851!
      I think you'll have to browse the whole section by selecting the 1851 census and then Middlesex and New Brentford - there are 3 sub districts but that will at least identify whther they have been very badly mis - transcribed or not there at all.
      In 1841 they are in Ealing so you might do the same for that part of the 1851 too.
      Margaret
      Last edited by margaretmarch; 04-04-10, 12:57.

Comment

Thanks Margaret at the moment I do not have access to Ancestry but have a 14 day trial with Find my past - tried all the different spellings of Stokes etc but cannot find them. They always seem to be in New Brentford but as a Waterman/Lighterman it might be possible they were somewhere else of the night of the census. However Ambrise is an unusual name so thought that would have helped. Thought I have found them but both males were named Josiah and I thought maybe that was Jewish for something else but nothing found. Will just have to keep trawling as much as I can.

Steven

Comment

Nope going to have to give up on this one. I take it sometimes people were missed on censuses? Or if the family stayed on a boat perhaps the boat was not available for the people who recorded the census information? The third option is that the person recording the census spelt their names incorrect. At the end of the day the most important thing is that I found Ambrose Stokes in 1861 and 1871, its not the end of the world that I can't find him in 1851. Its just annoying but loads of others probably encounter similar types of problems.

Onwards and upwards onto another Branch of the tree!!!!!

Steven

Comment

Working...
          X