The Dodd Family from Enfield, Middx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dodd Family from Enfield, Middx

I have been looking for these children for a very long time, Daisy born 14 Nov 1893, Violet born June 1899, and Winifred Frances born 13 August 1900, they were all on the 1901 Census in Sandal Road, Edmonton, Middx. Their mother Annie (nee Thoday) died in 1902 , father John could not cope and several of them were sent as "Home Children" to Canada.

Winifred (Dod spelt with only one D) was living with a relative in Edmonton on 1911 Census, but cannot find out what happened to her, Daisy or Violet despite extensive searching. I have sent for several incorrect marriage certificates for Winifred - marrying Curry in 1920, Harvie in 1936, Wilkins in 1928.

I wondered if anyone else would kindly look for me and see if they can find anything I might have missed.

Thanks

Welcome to FTF! - In case it hasn't been said already.

There are three public member trees on Ancestry with various ideas for some members of the family. While I don't suggest you rely on someone else's research, it's usually worth following up on ideas that their trees offer you. It's clear in a couple of cases that the tree-maker has allowed the Ancestry drop-down menus to overtake the logic of the BDM/census place-names - picking up USA versions of UK places.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

the only Winifred Dod on 1911 in Edmonton I can find was born in 1890??????????

Comment

Val

If their father couldn't cope and some of them were sent away is it possible the others were adopted and hence had different names?
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your ideas.

I think you must be right about the adoption and possible name change although Daisy would have been 9 and Violet 14 which by those ages it seems strange to change their names, I have seached the 1911 Census just using Christian names, year of birth (approx) and place of birth and still no luck. In fact through the 1911 Census I found their sister Ethel Dodd , who kept her name, was adoped by a weathly couple of spinsters and lived a happy unmarried life in Surrey.

I have my tree on Ancestry and through them am now in contact with one the grandchildren of the Dodds who were sent to Canada but he has no idea of what became of any of his grandfather's siblngs, so I have been able to tell him about Ethel.

There is a Winnie Dod aged 13 living with the Durant family in Croyland Road, Edmonton named as niece - not exactly the right relationship description but was adequate for the Census and rather too compicated to explain or understand!!

Any other suggestions would be gratefully received

Comment

Have you looked for traces of them in Australia, or New Zealand, say?

Christune
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've looked at on the boat emigration records, from there I am not sure where to go as I have not had dealings with other countries except Canada, any suggestions as to which site to look on or anyone has a Worldwide subscription for these countries might help.

Thanks.

Comment

Hi - did you find an obituary for Ethel or a will? I wonder if she was in touch with her siblings?

Comment

Originally posted by surrey73 View Post
                  I've looked at on the boat emigration records, from there I am not sure where to go as I have not had dealings with other countries except Canada, any suggestions as to which site to look on or anyone has a Worldwide subscription for these countries might help.

Thanks.
                  If you have a look in the Wiki - using the world bit - you should be able to find some links which shouldn't be too burdensome to trawl. There are BMD, shipping and newspaper records, any of which might throw up a clue. I'd not suggest a determined trawl until you have some idea where you're looking, but a quick look might be worth the effort.

Christine

Comment

Yes, through the Will I managed to find Mable who was adopted and lived in Cornwall - kept the Dodd surname but Christian name changed to Winifred - now two Winifreds to add to the confusion. Strangely enough it doesn't seem as if either knew about their father or brother Lewin who both remained in the same area until their deaths - though of course communications were more difficult and there were two world wars, Ethel and spinsters did have a telephone early in life.

Thanks for the Wiki idea will have to spend time looking through them.

Comment

Working...
                    X