Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Major B 1834 Norwich

This is the family conumdrum.

We can find our Major ancestrors as far back as 1871 census but before that date they are not about.
    1871RG10/1485 76 8Northampton St Andrew25 Upper Priory StWilliam Major, head, 37, Shoe Maker, b. Norfolk NorwichMatilda, wife, 32, Shoe Fitter, b. NorthamptonEliza, dau, 11, b. do.Matilda, dau, 6, scholar, b. do.William, son, 5, scholar, b. do.Emily, dau, 2, b. do.

Matilda Major was Matilda Samns nee Matilda Walker.
    We can find info on Matilda Walker and there is a marriage cert for Her and a William Samns, i have not seen this document.

we can find no death cert for William Samns and no marriage cert for Matilda and William Major. So no clue as to his parentage.

So as far as Willaim Major 1834 goes we have hit a brickwall.
    Matilda Major Dau. appears on the 1871 census but on no further ones and I cannot find any ref to her after that? nor can I find referance to her birth.

The only way i have thought of maybe finding more About William Major is when he lived in Brighton (around 1873 -1874 or 5.They are back in Np'ton by 1879 as Annie dies there.) there are other Major families living in Brighton and working in the shoe industry - could these be William Major's family?

This is of course if they travelled as a family?

Nora

Welcome to FTF, Nora!

There are two resources which leap to mind, reading your post...
    There are quite a lot of Norfolk records on FreeREG http://www.freereg.org.uk/
    The Sussex Family History Group has lots of online resources (tho' some are restricted to members only). http://sfhg.frontisgroup.com

I don't know what info is available through any Norfolk FH groups.

And have you made use of wildcards and less-is-more when searching for records? (I can imagine that SAMNS is very likely to be mis-transcribed.)

Christine

PS - You'll find a lot of folks make use of the convention of putting all surnames in upper-case: it makes them easier to spot in a block of text.
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 03-04-10, 13:36.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Either the records are mistranscribed - or Mr Samns didn't die in time for Matilda to be free and she just shacked up with Mr Major. Have you found a baptism for William Major?
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I've had a quick trawl on Norfolk Baptism Project without success, though the majority of Norwich parishes haven't been put on this yet.

There are also the actual images on http://pilot.familysearch.org/record...;c=1416598;w=0

but you have to trawl through them, they aren't indexed.
        Last edited by Little Nell; 03-04-10, 14:43.

Comment

Hm. had a look for an Eliza born abt 1860 on the 1861 census, with mother Matilda and can't find anyone born in Northamptonshire to fit the 1871 info with any surname. Curiouser and curiouser.

Comment

Possible death for Matilda's husband

William Sams
            Age at Death: 47 [Estimated birth year: abt 1825]
            1872 Apr-May-Jun Peterborough Volume: 3b Page: 147

It's the only likely one for a death in Northamptonshire for a William Sam* born within 10 years of 1837.
            Last edited by Little Nell; 03-04-10, 15:02.

Comment

This is the ref for the first marriage

William Samns
              Matilda Walker
              1858 Jul-Aug-Sep Northampton Volume: 3b Page: 136

The handwritten index seems to clearly say Samns, but I am thinking this could be incorrect as there seem to be very few Samns entries on Ancestry.

Comment

So I should be able to find Matilda and William with baby Eliza in 1861 but I can't!

Comment

I'm not thinking clearly, but is it possible that William Major is really William Samns and had a name change for some reason?

Comment

Children's registrations?

William Major
                    1865 Oct-Nov-Dec Northamptonshire

Emily Major
                    1868 Jul-Aug-Sep Northamptonshire

I can't see regs for Eliza or Matilda junior.
                    Last edited by Little Nell; 03-04-10, 15:16.

Comment

william Sams

hi little Nell,
                      I think that may be him. WILLIAM SAMS OR SAMNS

It turns out that the 1871 census is a little wrong we think that Matilda and eliza's ages were mixed up.

Matilda Walker Samns
                      1859Northampton3b 45Elizabeth Major1864Northampton3b 49

we know that the marriage of these took place in 1858
                      William Samns1858Northampton 3b 136Matilda WalkerNorthampton 3b 136

so we believe Matilda WS to be their daughter and not William Major's daughter.

Maybe Matilda never did remarry, but we do have a death record for her as a Major 1893 3b 42N'pton 60

Is it possible that the marrige cert has been lost I have only searched for it on the free BMD

Nora
                      PS thanks for your help

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                      Possible death for Matilda's husband

William Sams
                      Age at Death: 47 [Estimated birth year: abt 1825]
                      1872 Apr-May-Jun Peterborough Volume: 3b Page: 147

It's the only likely one for a death in Northamptonshire for a William Sam* born within 10 years of 1837.

Comment

Re FreeREG

Hi Christine,,
                        Really it is the Mystery of WILLIAM MAJOR 1834 that I am desperate to solve.

I have tried to type him into freeReg but nothing is coming up.

but thanks for the links great sites
                        Nora

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                        Welcome to FTF, Nora!

There are two resources which leap to mind, reading your post...
                        There are quite a lot of Norfolk records on FreeREG http://www.freereg.org.uk/
                        The Sussex Family History Group has lots of online resources (tho' some are restricted to members only). http://sfhg.frontisgroup.com

I don't know what info is available through any Norfolk FH groups.

And have you made use of wildcards and less-is-more when searching for records? (I can imagine that SAMNS is very likely to be mis-transcribed.)

Christine

PS - You'll find a lot of folks make use of the convention of putting all surnames in upper-case: it makes them easier to spot in a block of text.

Comment

Working...
                        X