What happend to Sarah?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happend to Sarah?

She appears on census 1871 and 1881 with her parent's. Then in 1891 she is living with a Henry Blackledge my gggrandfather b. 1867 as his wife, but I don't think they married. Also with them is a Frederick McPherson (wife's son b. 1883) and Henry their son aged 7 months.

Henry and Sarah have already had two children who have died, Sarah Ann 1886-1886, Charles 1888-1890.

By the next census 1901 Henry the 7 month old on the last census and also died 1890-1892.

On the 1901 census Sarah is missing and Henry has acquired a new wife MARY. With them is my grandmother Margaret born 1892, John 1895, Susannah 1897 and Jim (James) 1898 (all Sarah's children). The address for this census is 132 Eastfield Street, Stepney.

In 1894 they had twins Eliza and Sarah but they too died 1894-1894, and James above was also a twin, his twin Maria died 1899.

On searching Ancestry I have found two more baptisms for a Lily born 1901 (address 166 Eastfield Street, Stepney) and a William born 1902 (different address), parent's Henry Blackledge and Sarah. I'm sure it's the correct parent's.

The 1901 census was taken on 31 March, Lily was baptised 1 April 1901, so Henry was living with Mary at 132 Eastfield Street, Stepney and Sarah and Lily are living in the same street at number 166!!! There seems no record of a census being taken at 166 Eastfield Street I'm sorry to say, as that would have answered a lot of questions!

So Sarah disappears sometime after William is born in 1902, I cannot find a death or find her on any census after 1891.

On the 1911 census Henry has a new wife ELLEN and new children and well as his own with Sarah. Henry's children with Sarah are Susan (Susannah) now 15 and James now 12, plus William 6, Mary 5. The new children - Kate 20 & Ellen 10. Henry states he has been married for 25 years to Ellen and has had 13 children, 5 living!

I can find no trace of my ggrandmother Margaret or Lily and William on the 1911 census, and still no trace of Sarah.

If anyone out there can give me any help I would be so pleased.
    Last edited by Terrianne; 03-04-10, 18:17.

have I missed something when and where was Sarah born ?

Comment

Sorry - Sarah was born - Sarah McPherson 8.6.1865 St George in the East, Middlesex. Parent's Charles McPherson and Prudence Tartlin.

Comment

Postman just arrived with another birth certificate this time for a Mary Ann Blackledge born 13.3.1905 Stepney - parent's Henry Blackledge and Sarah McPherson - so Sarah is still alive in 1905!

Comment

I think Mary is Sarah I think its an error on name.

Edit to say: its 136 on the 1901 not 132
          Last edited by Guest; 03-04-10, 12:09.

Comment

sorry about to give up very elusive lot , just one thing on 1901 I found your Henry and Mary at 136 Eastfield Street Limehouse not 132
            Might have another go later if nobody has found them good luck

Comment

Hi Maggie

Thanks for your reply, if Sarah and Mary are the same person the dates of birth don't match, Sarah should be 36 not 30 on the 1901. I know there are mistakes, but a name and year of birth? Also Sarah and Mary are not on the 1911, Henry is with Ellen plus new children, Kate 20, Ellen 10 plus his children with Sarah.

Comment

Thank for your reply Val.

Typing error I'm afraid. Yes, they are elusive, don't know how long I have been trying to sort this lot out, hoped maybe another pair of eyes would help.
                These are the details from the 1911 census -

Henry Blackledge 48 married 25 years All born Stepney Address - 25 Joseph Street, Stepney
                Ellen Blackledge 46
                Kate Blackledge 20
                Susan Blackledge 15 (Sarah mother)
                James Blackledge 12 (Sarah mother)
                Ellen Blackledge 10
                Mary Blackledge 5 (Sarah mother
                William Blackledge 6 (Sarah mother)
                Henry Blackledge 3 (Henry's brother's son)

Comment

Anyone looking in 1891 might want to know that the name has been transcribed (and does quite look like) BLACKLIDGE.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                  X