Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have asked this question elsewhere with no luck so.......................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have asked this question elsewhere with no luck so.......................

Can anyone on here please find my Carsons family in 1871?

I cannot find my Gx2 grandparents in 1871. Can anyone see if they can find them please. I have no reason to think they went abroad, so they should be in England.

Joseph Carsons (Head) b. 1841 Trowbridge, Wiltshire. He was a tailor.
    Elizabeth Carsons (Wife) b. c1838 Stockbridge, Hampshire.
    Arthur Joseph Carsons (son) b. 1864 Marylebone, London. (my G Grandfather)
    Frederick Charles Carsons (son) b. 1866 Portsea, Hampshire.
    Emma Maria Carsons (dau) b. 1867 Marylebone, London.
    Charlotte Selina Carsons (dau) b. 1869/70 Isle of Wight, Hampshire.

Sometimes they appear as Carson without the 's'.

In 1861 Joseph (a tailor) was living in Aylesbury, Bucks and Elizabeth was a servant living in Hove, Sussex.
    In October 1863 they married in Brighton.
    In 1881 the family were living at 90 Marylebone Lane, Marylebone, London with two more children, Joseph (aged 6) and Ellen (aged 4), both listed as being born in London Middlesex.

I can only think they are hiding somewhere, or have been horrendously mistranscribed !
    My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

IoW FHS (http://www.isle-of-wight-fhs.co.uk) - the BMD section, has Charlotte Selina CARSON's birth recorded as 1869 in Ryde district. It also gives mother's maiden name as ROWE.

Intriguingly, that appears as 1870 q1 on the GRO index - but she appears to have been b 7 Dec 1869, so that's still possible.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 02-04-10, 16:56.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Sorry Sue, can't see them anywhere.
      Elaine

Comment

Looks like Arthur, Charlotte, Emma, Frederick and Joseph were baptised en bloc at St Thomas, St Marylebone on 6 Jun 1875, and Ellen baptised there 1 Jul 1877. Note that the baptism record has Charlotte's second name as "Celina". St Thomas's baptism register gives all the DoB as well. Their address at the time was 25 Marylebone Lane. (Given that re-numbering took place from time to time, that could have been the same house.)

Christine

PS - Just seen Elaine's post. If Elaine can't find them then I don't know who will!
        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 02-04-10, 16:52.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I don't what info you have already for this family?

There's a promising IGI marriage (M147942) for Joseph CARSONS & Elizabeth ROWE: 19 OCT 1863 Saint Nicholas, Brighton

Arthur Joseph was b 23 Sep 1864, so that's quite "respectable" in the terms of the day!

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 02-04-10, 16:33.

Comment

Can you find numbers as high as 80 Marylebone Lane in 1871?

The FMP address-finder uses street-name plus schedule number. I can see that there appears to be some overlapping of street-numbers. I haven't devoted myself to making sure that there were no gaps at all in the numbers, so maybe there are a few "strays".
            Schedules nos 4-38 are for numbers 1-12 Marylebone Lane, as a part of London
            Schedules nos 83-157 are for numbers 9-28c Marylebone Lane, as a part of London > St Marylebone > Cavendish Square > District 5
            Schedules nos 210-286 are for nos 29-48 Marylebone Lane, as part of London > St Marylebone > Cavendish Square > District 3
            Schedules nos 158-178 are for nos 49-57 Marylebone Lane, part of London > St Marylebone > Cavendish Square > District 5

I haven't found number 80 Marylebone Lane, yet.

About to update - found more numbers... given up - I'm confusing myself - but it might be worth trying this for yourself? Some of the script is pretty appalling, so mistranscription - or laziness over surname (e.g. forgetting to change to a new surname from household to household - is not out of the question.

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 02-04-10, 19:38.

Comment

Thank you for all that info Christine.

Rather worrying if even Elaine can't find them

I didn't have the baptisms of the family, so thank you for that. 25 Marylebone Lane rings a bell, I think there may be other family members at that address, not sure if that was 1871 though. More checking needed on my part! I'll try to go through and check addresses on the 1871 census to see if I can find any clues for the Carsons family. I've tried just using first and second names and year & place of birth for all of them (without the surname) on Ancestry but no luck there either.

I do have the marriage for Joseph & Elizabeth.

I have replied to your PM.
              Many thanks for your help.

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                Looks like Arthur, Charlotte, Emma, Frederick and Joseph were baptised en bloc at St Thomas, St Marylebone on 6 Jun 1875, and Ellen baptised there 1 Jul 1877. Note that the baptism record has Charlotte's second name as "Celina". St Thomas's baptism register gives all the DoB as well. Their address at the time was 25 Marylebone Lane. (Given that re-numbering took place from time to time, that could have been the same house.)

Christine

PS - Just seen Elaine's post. If Elaine can't find them then I don't know who will!
                Just trawled through Marylebone Lane on 1871 census on Ancestry and the family weren't at number 25 then. Slowly looking at the whole road to see what I can find.

I never thought of searching by address before

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Working...
                X