Lost Cousins site free until 14th April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Cousins site free until 14th April

According to the email received today...

LostCousins finds living relatives, people who share your ancestors, and can help you discover more about your family tree.

I have never understood that site or what the point of it is.

Comment

The point of the website is to find other people researching the same ancestors, as explained here: Read this first
      Sarah

Comment

The point of the site is an excellent one.

It just hasn't worked for me!

OC

Comment

It hasn't worked for me yet either, although I think it's a very good concept.
          Registration is free, and the more people who enter details of their ancestors, the more matches will be made.
          Sarah

Comment

I hasn't worked for me either :(

I found it quite a laborious task entering all the information and gave up some time ago ...... that's probably why I have no matches - not enough of my people entered!

Anne

Comment

Anne

It shouldn't be a laborious task to enter the info, not once you have the head of the household entered.......

OC

Comment

At risk of sounding very boring it may well be a very good site but I have never got anything out of it! Still, perhaps that is not the right attitude, but the way I am feeling at present. So I will not be bothering to get the freebie.

Janet

Comment

can someone out there point me in the right direction to post a message. I thought I had done tis morning but I can't see that it is anywhere on the site.

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

The only real benefit to subscribing is being able to contact other members:

As a Subscriber you will be able to initiate contact with members who appear in the New Contacts section of your My Cousins page. Once the initial contact has been made you can continue communicating using the messaging system we provide, or - if both of you agree to exchange email addresses - you can correspond directly...

...Note that whilst only subscribers can initiate contact with another member, all members can respond to messages - so if you are prepared to wait for your cousins to contact you, there's no need to become a subscriber.

So I have no reason to subscribe yet as I still have 0 matches. I'll keep up my free membership though. Because hopefully as more people register and enter their ancestors' details on the site, I might eventually get a match. :smilee:
                    Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Paul in Poole View Post
                      can someone out there point me in the right direction to post a message. I thought I had done tis morning but I can't see that it is anywhere on the site.
                      Are you referring to this site or the Lost Cousins site?

To post a new thread on this site, click on the forum you want to post in, and then click on the Post New Thread button at the top of the list of threads.

To send someone a private message, click on their user name in a thread or in the Member List (accessed by clicking on Community in the white bar running along the top of the page), and then click on the envelope icon for Private Message.
                      Sarah

Comment

Cloggie

That is also why I cannot be bothered. I have had free membership for years but no matches so no reason to subscribe!

Few people seem to be researching my family and the ones that are seem to be contacting me through totally different routes.

Janet

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
                          The point of the website is to find other people researching the same ancestors, as explained here: Read this first
                          Yes but I don't find it very successful in fact as another poster/s have said other sites are more fruitful.

Plus having read the news letter about the misuse of email addresses to test another site's security, which was a load of old bunkum I might add, I wouldn't put any more of my details in that site and in fact deleted what I did have.
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-04-10, 17:25.

Comment

I decided to Join lost cousins to see if I could get any further with some of my brick walls. However, I am rather confused with the free part. When I try and make contact with matches nothing happens. And, if want to subscribe it will cost me £10.00 for the year. Am I missing something?

Sandra

Comment

I joined that site back in 2004, when it first started. I entered 227 names from the 1881 census (all the names that I had from that census at that time - full households including lodgers etc). In the six years since then I have received just one "cousin" contact - for a very distant relation on a side branch of my main tree. Compare that with the dozens of excellent contacts that I've made on GR in the meantime (OK that site too has its shortcomings, but it has been good for contacting people researching the same family lines, including several 2nd cousins who I never knew previously). So I agree with the above comments - join LC as a free member by all means, and enter your names if you have time (and it is quite time consuming), but don't expect to get heaps of new matches that you haven't found elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                              X