Coghin connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coghin connection

On 18th November, 1885, Rosa FRANK aged 24, of 42 St Albans Street, Leeds, married Abraham COGHIN, also aged 24, a Shoemaker of the same address.
    Rosa’s father was Harris Frank, a Tailor, and Abraham’s father, Osher Coghin, was a Pedlar.

I’m searching the OGIN/ORGIN/CHORGAN/HOGGIN/OGGIN/COHEN etc name and came across this info by chance when looking at info for Leeds.
    On FreeBMD, there is nothing further past 1885 using the surname spelling of COGHIN.

Can anyone see further info about Rosa and Abraham and/or their parents in the 1891+ census.

Just found these alternative spellings on Yorks BMD -
    CAYHIN Abraham FRANK Rose Jews Synagogue Belgrave Street (The Great Synagogue) Leeds SYN1/B/8
    CAYLIN Abraham FRANK Rose Jews Synagogue Belgrave Street (The Great Synagogue) Leeds SYN1/B/8 and
    COGHIN Abraham FRANK Rose Jews Synagogue Belgrave Street (The Great Synagogue) Leeds as per above info.
    Hmmm...is it meant to be Cohen????
    Last edited by naomiatt; 02-04-10, 03:27.

Comment

Naomi

there was a famous singer, Alma COGAN, who was Jewish. Coghin...Cogan...Cohen....all depends how you say it, really.

OC

Comment

Hi OC - yes, I knew someone who was looking in to her life. Interesting story...and she was young when she passed away. Not related to me though.
        I've always wondered if Ogin somehow morphed from Cohen - the Ogin's are Cohanim - but an aunt has said that it was deinfitely
        "Chorgin"..well, sounding like that with a 'Chhhh' sound. I just happened to see Ros and Abraham's marriage when I was looking at stuff for
        the Myers/Cohen and Wallaby's topic. I did have a great uncle on the O side called Abe...but he was born around 1898 in the Ukraine..I think! ;) ....that or 'Russia'/'Poland' depending on the docs. Not come across an 'Osher' yet. I'll have a look to see what the variants are besides Asher and Ansell/Anshel....the sites down at the moment.
        Last edited by naomiatt; 02-04-10, 08:54.

Comment

Naomi, I did look last night for the family on the 1891. Nothing was jumping out.

Nearest match was an Abraham and Rebecca Cousin living in Leeds. Abraham was a slipper maker.
          Karen

Comment

Hi Karen - thanks for looking. Abraham's occupation sort of fits doesn't it. Were there any children showing?
            Rosa often comes out as Rebecca, Becky, Rachel, Rose, Rosie etc etc so that could make sense as well.

Comment

On 19th August, 1874, Rachel JANE, aged 21, daughter of David JANE, a Weaver, married Israel FRANK, aged 21, a Slippermaker, son of
              Hirsch FRANK, a dealer. Address for Rachel and Israel was 4 Livery Street, Leeds. I think there's a chance that Rosa who married Abraham, was a sister of Israel - Harris is a variant of Hirsch - although the occupation is different.

Comment

..and another spelling! - Abraham KRUGLEEN Rose FRANK 18/11/1885 Leeds Great

Comment

Looking again and the age for Rebecca is 3 yrs younger than Abraham. They have a Annie aged 3.

Can't see this family on the 1901.
                  Karen

Comment

I will try looking for Abraham and Rose ( with all variations) without a surname!!!
                    Karen

Comment

Thanks Karen - we posted at the same time! Can you see anything that looks like Krugleen?

Comment

Just found Abraham and Rose Krugliss, both aged 29 from Russia. 23 Mrytle St leeds with 3 children Betsy, Simon and Barnet.

He is a slipper maker
                        Karen

Comment

Hi - thanks Karen. Sounds promising! Can't believe how many surnames show for the one man...well, that's not true..I can believe it! :D

Comment

This is worth subscribing to (free) - updates on Jewish genealogy http://www.avotaynu.com/nuwhatsnew.htm

Comment

Working...
                            X