Thomas Wilson 1861 Scottish census help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Wilson 1861 Scottish census help

Hi having a wee problem locating an ancestor on the 1861 census.

In 1851 Thomas is living in Alloa (Scotland) aged 25 with his wife Elizabeth (age 24) a daughter Ann (age 5) a son I can't make out (begins with an M and age 4), a daughter Elizabeth (age) and a final daughter (age 8 months). His occupation is agricultural labourer. Place of birth for Thomas is Tulliallan, Perthshire.

In 1871 they are living in Tillicoultry and Thomas is age 45, Elizabeth (age 44), Ann Moodie (daughter age 25), son Thomas (age 23), daughter Elizabeth (age 31), daughter Janet (age 17), John (my ancestor age 13), James (age 11), Alexander (age 9), Isabella (age 7), David (age 2), John Dawson (grandson age 2), Elizabeth Marshall (granddaughter age 1) & Agnes Livingstone boarder (age 17). Thomas' place of birth is Kincardine, Perthshire (which is next door to Tulliallan) and occupation is General merchant.

What is interesting about Thomas senior (my great great grandfather) is he is the first to leave a will when he died in 1898 and his occupation then was diaryman (after being a general merchant he then moved to potato merchant then dairyman).

If anyone can help with the 1861 census that would be great - have tried loads of potential through Scotlands People but to no avail.

Hope I have given enough information

Thanks

Steven

Do you have access to Ancestry?

There is a Thomas Willson born 1816 Kincardine, Perthshire - living in Alloa.

Full household: (as transcribed by Ancestry)
    Thomas Willson 45
    Elizabeth Hutchison 34
    Ann Willson 15
    Thomas Willson 14
    Elizabeth Willson 12
    Mary Willson 10
    Janet Willson 7
    Jelin Willson 4
    Jame Willson 2

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

Parish: Alloa; ED: 5; Page: 31; Line: 4; Roll CSSCT1861_62; Year: 1861.
    Elaine

Comment

Sorry Elaine don't have access to Ancestry but looked it up and copied the image via Scotlands People - it is the correct one as I know Thomas' wife's name was Elizabeth Hutcheson and for some reason her maiden name is listed on the 1861 census. I never thought to look under Willson.

You don't by any chance know his occupation? The image I have donwloaded is very poor and cannot make it out. He seems to have done very well for himself moving from agricultural labourer to general merchant to potato merchant to dairyman. In his Will in 1898 it puts his assets at about £50 - not sure what that would equate to in todays money but to have a Will in 1898 must mean he made a good life for his family.

Thanks again

Steven

Comment

Ancestry have transcribed his occupation as Carter.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine that now makes sense. The definition is a person working with horse and cart.

Away to phone local library tomorrow to see if any obituaries etc are available

Steven

Comment

Working...
          X