Pre 1837 register help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre 1837 register help please.

MORREY, Thomas to WHITTINGHAM, Ellen 04 JUN 1823 Acton By Nantwich, Cheshire, England
    Batch Number: 8921333 Sheet: 12 Source Call No.: 1553478

I've got this marriage from IGI and there is a batch number so it's not one of those guesses by an LDS member working backwards from baptisms of their children. What I can't work out is why this marriage is not in the online Cheshire Parish Register database. Does anybody know why? I'd love to see the original entry to get more info on Thomas who I believe to be my 3xG grandfather. The baptisms of their 5 children are in the CPR database and IGI - James 1824, Joseph 1827, Thomas 1829, Jane 1832 and Ann 1834.

The family name is MURRAY but I've found various spellings incl. Morray, Morrey, Murrey, Murry and even Morris, this last one from the IGI for the children's baptisms and also for my 2xG grandfather James in the 1851 census but thereafter he is always Murray.

That entry was still recorded by a member of the LDS (it says so above the batch number). This is not an "extraction" batch number but one given to the member of the church when recording their family.

Have you looked in the LDS catalogue to find the film number for Acton By Nantwich marriages? On looking at the catalogue, I found the following:
    TitleParish registers for Acton-near-Nantwich, 1653-1999AuthorsChurch of England. Parish Church of Acton (near Nantwich, Cheshire) (Main Author)

NotesAn index for Cheshire parish registers is available online in Record Search, click here. Microfilm copies of originals at the parish and filmed at the Cheshire Record Office in Chester, England.
    Subjects England, Cheshire, Acton (near Nantwich) - Church recordsFormat Manuscript (On Film) Language English Publication Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1999 Physical on 5 microfilm reels ; 35 mm.

You should be able to see the transcript and image on the new Family Search pilot website as they have the Cheshire records.
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
    Last edited by Elderflower; 31-03-10, 11:26. Reason: Added a few words

Comment

Thanks Pat, I didn't realise that about batch numbers. I'll go look at the link you gave me. Sorry for the delay in reply. We're just back on the net here, blizzards played havoc with the phones.

Comment

Just did a search for your couple and the marriage is there but no image. This is a transcription and is probably the place the LDS member got their info to add to the IGI. If you still want to see an image then you could look at the film numbers in the IGI catalogue and choose BTs or PRs and order the film through your nearest Family History Centre.

Hope you are a bit warmer and the snow doesn't last too long up there.

Comment

You could always email the Cheshire Archives and ask for a photocopy of the record (if it exists). You have a secific date and it would be a very quick lookup for which I would not expect a big charge. I have done similar with other specific dates for Parish Record entries. Typical charge is £1.50 to £3.

Anne

Comment

If you go to the Cheshire Parish Register Project and click on Progress, you will see that Acton is not yet included on that site, which explains why you can't find the record there.

However, it is listed in the Cheshire Parish Registers 1538-2000 on FamilySearch Record Search. When you search that site, make sure to select Acton, Cheshire, England, United Kingdom, and it also helps to select "Exact, close & partial match" (rather than "Exact match" or "Exact & close match") as this brings up more results.
            Here are the details from there:
            Name: Thomas Morrey
            Event type: Marriage
            Marriage date: 04 Jun 1823
            Marriage place: Acton (near Nantwich), Cheshire, England
            Principal's residence: , Acton (near Nantwich), Cheshire, England
            Spouse's name: Ellen Whittingham
            Spouse's residence: , Acton (near Nantwich), Cheshire, England
            Image number: 208
            Digital GS number: 4019088
            Film number: 2147067
            Collection: England, Cheshire Parish Registers, 1538-2000

As Elderflower says above, the image of the parish register probably contains more detail.
            Sarah

Comment

Thanks everybody. I'll email them and ask for quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                You could always email the Cheshire Archives and ask for a photocopy of the record (if it exists). You have a secific date and it would be a very quick lookup for which I would not expect a big charge. I have done similar with other specific dates for Parish Record entries. Typical charge is £1.50 to £3.

Anne
                Seems like prices have gone up a bit Anne. I got an email from the archivist directing me to their online shop. If you know the references for what you want, you can order photocopies of parish register entries directly from the site. The 1 marriage entry has cost me £3.50 plus 47p postage. I ordered it on 7th April but it hasn't arrived yet. It looks like £3.50 is the charge per item, although I'm not certain as I hadn't anything else to order to see if I could get up to certain number of pages for the same fee.

The link to their shop is http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/leisu...rd_office.aspx

Comment

"Online shop" for an archive sounds very posh! I expect they all vary. My dealings have mostly been with Bedford and Hertford archives which have been very reasonable.

Anne

Comment

Working...
                  X