Going beyond 1830 in england

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going beyond 1830 in england

Hi everyone. Its taken me about a year to piece together my mothers family tree. I was lucky that she had a fairly uncommon surname. It took a while as one of the ancestors decided to change his the spelling on his last name for everything from marrigae certs to sons birth certs and divorce papers. He aslo had on a number of papers that he was born in New York and even changed his middle name, but when I finally found his death cert it had all the same info as when he was born.
    Ok so what I need some advice on is how to find his farthers birth and death details. I have his mothers birth date and her mothers birth date from the 1851 census. So any advice would be helpful guys. The details I have are below.
    Frederick George Mortyn born 1850 in the parish of St mary islington, Middlesex (Baptism in 1853)
    Mother, Elizabeth Mortyn (Backhouse) born abt 1834 in the parish of Nottingham St Peter (1851 Census)
    Mothers Mother, Elizabeth Backhouse born abt 1796 in the parish of Nottingham St Peter, Newark, Nottinghamshire, England
    I can't find where the father of Frederick was or born or his parents. The fathers name is Charles George Mortyn, One document I do have says he was married in Islington as well.
    So any help advice would be helpful in finding the next generation would be great. Plus is there a way I can find out more about the last name Mortyn ?

thanks for your help
    james

the last name morton or variants, is scottish. it comes from the medieval village of morton in dumfrieshire, once owned by the powerful douglas family. it is also an earldom. there are also english towns and causes for the surname.

Comment

Originally posted by james84 View Post
      I can't find where the father of Frederick was or born or his parents. The fathers name is Charles George Mortyn, One document I do have says he was married in Islington as well.

The image of the marriage entry is available on the Ancestry LMA records - not sure if this is the record you refer to.

Elizabeth Backous / Charles George Martyn
      Date of marriage - 1 Jul 1849
      Parish - St Mary, Islington, Middlesex.

Fathers' Names: William Backous / Henry Martyn

Elaine

Comment

The marriage certificate gives the occupation of Charles George Martyn as theatrical performer of full age (while Elizabeth is a minor) - I wonder if there are any entries in the newspapers which might help.
        Do you have access to the 19th century Gale collection of newspapers via your local library?

... and my apologies, just noticed you are a new member, so welcome to Family Tree Forum!
        Elaine

Comment

Wow Elaine, thank you so much. George being a performer would fit the bill perfectley. Georges wife Elizabeth was a well know actress at the Theater Royal in Melboure and Dublin, as was her son some years later. I got a wealth of info from the National Libary Of Australia's news paper section. She died under some what suss circumstances in Melbourne at age of 25. They owner/director of the theater from what I can gather was very close to her. They had a benifit night for her children and her mother and raised 200 pounds for them in 1859. Which from what I can gather was alot of money back then as a divorce record from one of her sons ex wifes was earning 1 pound 16 shillings in 1916 each week. Just a bit of usless info.
          Your info should help me along the way a lot more. This whole name being spelt diferent is certainly making it interesting.
          Thanks again
          james

Comment

Well i'm stuck again. I think it's cause I dont really know how the use ancestory.com.au proplerly and how to tell which person is which and how to find what info I need. Plus there are all the other website out there but again they arn't very straight forward for a novice family historian. So what advice can you offer of how to go from here with the info you gave me in the above post's? Also am i able to get access to the news papers archieves you mentioned above ?

thanks agian

Comment

Re the newspaper archives - have sent you a pm (personal message).
              Elaine

Comment

There's a possible baptism for Charles in 1828,(same spelling as marriage cert) in the LMA records, parents Henry & Sarah.
                Moggie

Comment

Henry & Sarah & another son Thomas in 1851 Piece 1517, Folio 278, Page 15
                  There's a burial of a Henry Mortyn in 1853 age 50 address Goswell Rd.
                  In 1871 Charles Martyn (widower) living with brother Thomas & family & his mother Sarah in Shepherdess Walk, Shoreditch ref Piece 448, Folio 22, Page 3.
                  Moggie
                  Last edited by maudarby; 01-04-10, 11:42.

Comment

A possible death for Charles

Deaths Sep 1872 (from freeBMD)
                    MORTYN Charles age at death 44, therefore born c1828.
                    Shoreditch 1c 80

Edit: see next post - not convinced this is the right man!
                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by maudarby View Post
                      Henry & Sarah & another son Thomas in 1851 Piece 1517, Folio 278, Page 15
                      There's a burial of a Henry Mortyn in 1853 age 50 address Goswell Rd.
                      In 1871 Charles Martyn (widower) living with brother Thomas & family & his mother Sarah in Shepherdess Walk, Shoreditch ref Piece 448, Folio 22, Page 3.
                      Moggie
                      The occupation for Thomas in the 1851 census is shows as Jeweller's clerk, with the occupation for his father Henry as jeweller.

This doesn't match with the marriage certificate which shows Charles' occupation as Theatrical Performer and Henry's occupation as Clerk - so not sure if it's the same family.

Sorry .. edit: the 1871 census shows Charles' occupation as Artiste - so it could be the right family after all!
                      Elaine

Comment

This seems to be the same family in 1841 - transcribed as Mortyer

Household:
                        Henry Mortyer 35 - occ jeweller
                        Sarah Mortyer 35
                        Charles Mortyer 13 - occ errand boy
                        Thomas Mortyer 3

living in Clerkenwell
                        Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by james84 View Post
                          Well i'm stuck again. I think it's cause I dont really know how the use ancestory.com.au proplerly and how to tell which person is which and how to find what info I need. Plus there are all the other website out there but again they arn't very straight forward for a novice family historian. So what advice can you offer of how to go from here with the info you gave me in the above post's? Also am i able to get access to the news papers archieves you mentioned above ?

thanks agian
                          James,
                          I think the first thing you need to do is to look at all the references that have been given to you to see if you think they add up! We have provided links which I hope will work with your Australian Ancestry membership - if not let us know.
                          Elaine

Comment

Working...
                          X